Wanting to start a feed co-op in Tucson, Arizona

desertmarcy

Crowing
9 Years
May 26, 2011
Tucson
I'm sending out a feeler to see if anybody on the NW side of Tucson is interested in getting together for bulk buying of organic chicken feed. I ordered last time from Modesto Milling--they have organic soy and soy-free. They have flat-rate shipping, so it is most economical to get a full pallet (50 bags). Feed type (starter, grower, layer) can be mixed on a pallet. I have a temperature-controlled building and room to store that much feed, but I'd prefer to go in with others so as to keep the feed fresher and not have to put out as much cash at one time. If there are other organic mills that people know of where shipping is not prohibitive to Tucson, I'd like to know about them. Send me a private message about starting a co-op. I like Modesto because their grower is high protein--22%--so I can also use it for my turkeys as well as the chickens. However it is ground almost to a mash. They require a 5000 pound minimum order to do custom milling--don't think that's going to happen
th.gif

I'd be very interested, if we could keep the cost near what I pay now and still get organic. I'm also looking for an inexpensive source for broiler feed for my broilers coming in October.
Wish you lived a little closer but would be willing to do some driving if we can get some other people in the area interested,

Hi, this is my first time doing this so don't laugh too hard if i do something stupid here :- ) I just read your post about starting a feed co-op. I noticed it was from last year and was wondering if it ever got up and running or if you still need people to help.? I have just moved here from Oregon and was only able to bring my goats, but I am starting a new flock next spring. I have of course started looking for good feed for my new flock so that I am just ready to go. Also, I am always looking for new information and good people to share my love of animals with. Thank you.

I don't think this ever got off the ground. We need to do what the folks are doing up in Phoenix with frequent shipments out of Montana. Also, welcome to BYC and to Tucson! Be sure to drop in and say hello on our BYC AZ thread where we have lots of Oregon transplants.

I had a handful of people chip in last year with an order from Modesto--others ordered a total of 13 bags and I bought the remaining 37 bags to make up the pallet (50 bags max on a pallet). Since that time, my bird numbers have skyrocketed and I am able to use up a whole pallet myself before the feed gets too old. I feed only organic, and every few months, the price goes up. Modesto told me 30% of the farmland across the U.S. has been converted over to growing corn for oil---hence the price increases. Gallo, where are the Phoenix folks buying from Montana? I used to get a custom-milled organic feed from Buckwheat Growers in Minnesota. Just when I thought I finally had my feed situation stabilized, shipping went through the roof and it would have cost as much to ship as the it was for the feed, so I started getting it from Modesto, but they are very expensive. Is the Montana feed organic?

I'm not exactly sure from whom they are getting it, but Mikey D in the AZ thread could probably tell you. It is organic and ridiculously cheap compared what I'm paying at the feed store for organic Modesto. It seems to be getting rave reviews too. I think it was organized through the Phoenix Permaculture folks. Perhaps we'll learn more this Sat.--Mikey will be here too. My few birds don't eat all that much but I'd definitely like to find a cheaper alternative. Keep me in mind!

If you all formed a feed co-op, I would love to join (or happy to help get something going). I found the facebook page for the purchasing group in Phx and they are getting organic corn, soy & canola free for $24.50 per 50 pound bag. Desert Marcy, not sure how that compares to what you're getting from Modesto but I know it's less than I'm paying retail.

If you all formed a feed co-op, I would love to join (or happy to help get something going). I found the facebook page for the purchasing group in Phx and they are getting organic corn, soy & canola free for $24.50 per 50 pound bag. Desert Marcy, not sure how that compares to what you're getting from Modesto but I know it's less than I'm paying retail.

I don't think there is an official feed co-op here. ZenHens, if you join them, is getting some feed in bulk from the Tohono O'odham farm. It is not certified organic, I think it might be certified natural, not sure. The Phoenix group, it is the Big Sky feed that they are getting, right? The problem I have with that feed is it is ground to a very fine mash, almost a powder, and my birds absolutely do not like the fine stuff. They always leave it in the bottom of the feeder.
Modesto's last price for corn-soy free (Not canola free, though) was $23.13 then it was another $2.62 per bag for shipping and that is a pellet. Shipping varies with gas price, of course. This month shipping was less than when I bought in October. Modesto's regular soy layer pellets or crumbles (they have both) is $25.76 plus shipping. And no tax. I just received an order, but I order every 2 months or so depending on if I'm hatching and growing chicks. Might even be more often if I have a lot of growing chicks. I look for a few people to go in on an order so I don't have to buy all 50 bags myself. If you are interested in going in on an order in the future, let me know and I'll contact you when the time comes.

Looks like its been awhile since this was posted, but has anything come of a tucson feed coop? I live in Sierra Vista, and would love to get involved in something. I'm looking to feed 10 chickens, preferably organic whole grains, I don't want fine grinds. I saw the phoenix group and they do have wheat, barley, peas and flax at great prices, but I'd love it to be closer! If you know of anything, let me know! Thanks. Bridget

No, this never really took off. I order feed from Modesto Milling in CA about every 2-3 months, 50 bags on a pallet and sometimes get other people to go in with me so I don't have to buy the whole pallet myself but that is as far as it got. If you want to do that, let me know. Give me a regular email address so I can forward their price list to you. Other options, Azure Standard in Oregon has a monthly route and I believe they are going to Sierra Vista now, they started carrying the Big Sky organic feed. I personally don't like it because it is ground to almost a powder which my birds aren't crazy about. Azure also carries another organic feed, can't think of the brand offhand. You can go to the website www.azurestandard.com and call them to get more info on joining. You can see the products on their website, but not the prices unless you join (no fee to join). Shipping is included in the price if you order at least $50 worth and the drop point it is sent to has a minimum amount, also (combined from all the people ordering and picking up at that drop point).

Modesto only sells organic, they have a lot of whole grains as well as the prepared feed.

Marcia

Back
Top Bottom