Wanting to start mini plant hobby, any suggestions?

Shellybean02

Chirping
Aug 30, 2015
I wanted to start a hobby growing mini plants, as I stated above. Before I can do that, I need an idea of some plants that are small and can preferably be kept indoors. The tinier the cuter! I love seeing those tiny setups of small, sometimes colorful plants in an organized pile of moss, rocks, etc. So if anyone knows anything about this, please share the plant and it's basic requirements. Thanks!

I used to grow chillies. There are plenty of species that only grow to 10cm with very nice flowers and colourful fruits.

Ct

I read about bonsai (miniature)chili plants; I was thinking of growing the rainbow one and trimming it. Anyone know how to grow those? I'm also open to other suggestions. I adore tiny moss gardens, so if I can add that to the plant's habitat that would be great.

Cute! Do you know the name of the plants? Also how do you care for them (including how you made their setup)?

Here are a couple more. I don't remember all the names, but they are from the cactus succulent plant variety.. I could find out later . The 2 round cactus with flowers came with those flowers, They are natural dried flowers but fakes . DD brought them from Arizona road trip. The one with lil rooster guarding it is from the Agave family. You could probably make 1/100 of an ounce of tequila out of it.
lau.gif

The burgundy flower in the back is called some type of clover. (not sure exactly) It is flowering right now.
Care for these is simple. Get whatever container ( I like to repurpose anything I have to make it UNIQUE) and plant them together. Use potting medium similar to what plants came in. (rocky and sandy for cactus) Most do not need too much watering. Apply fertilizer sparingly. Overdoing with it changes miniature to HUGE.
These small plants are often available at Walmart or other store gardening departments. They are reasonably priced.
I keep mine in front of a window. You having warmer climate can keep these on your patio.

Rooster is about 2 inches tall.
These plants are over 2 years in my home. They were somewhat smaller when first planted.

I love your collection cavemanrich! I intend on having a mini garden with a pond for baby fish (in the future). Do you think the cactus ones would do fine with moss? If not I can always make separate sections, like tropical, forest and desert plants.

Great Idea on making a tropical forest replica. Make multi level and separate compartments to accommodate for the different watering requirements. I can already envision a multi tier circular planter .. If you are handy in crafts, you can make one from clay, plaster of Paris, or cement. The natural look will hide all imperfections,(known only to you.) You can just make the planter to accommodate the plants in their pots they came in. Cover the exposed top of pots with mulch, or organic peat. Suggest that you use clay pots if you go that route. Replacing plastic pots with clay ones will allow roots to function better and hold moisture for prolonged time VS plastic.
This sounds soo exciting, I'm thinking of making one for my Summer patio.
smile.png
I'm getting Ideas I didn't have before.

Back
Top Bottom