War on raccoons !

swheat

The Bantam Barn
14 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Alabama
My Coop
My Coop
Darn coon got in pen and killed whole flock of BB Red & Blue Red Rosecomb breeders...I am just sick and numb
sad.png
. Looks like it ate on 2 birds and just went on a killing spree on the other 9. This is war !
Going to the hardware store and buying all the steel traps I can find.
I will have to put up a sign "Stay Away from my Chickens or Lose your Foot".
This is the first time any predator has gotten that chicken pen since it was built 3 year ago...I'll have to go and re-inspect it from top to bottom see if I can figure where it got in.

Steve

I have been at war with raccoons for three years now, had a close call several years ago and have been at war ever since. I have not lost a bird in three years (knock on wood), and don't plan to...stay alert and don't turn you back on them, they'll get you when you least expect it...

Oh Man! What a shocker.... sorry for your loss
sad.png

Two weeks ago I had something get into my chicks. Mama had 10 babies tucked away.... next morning 4 babies were flat out gone, one was half eaten, 2 were missing heads and the 8th was just laying there dead. Mama was in the side yard with her 2 remaining chicks puffed out like a puffer fish. Poor sweetie. I put out the havaheart trap baited with tuna..... next morning wasn't there a skunk in the trap. Little snot. I totally understand your anger and desire to give back to the racoon what it dealt out to your chickens.
somad.gif

I have lost birds here and there to predators...I would lose one or two and then set traps and catch them. But...I have never lost a whole flock(11) of birds like this before...
Steve

I've been at war with woodchucks here.I live on the edge of a river in town, so I get quite a few. Over the last 2 summers, I have shot 6 and trapped 15. last week, I caught a skunk in the trap closest to my chicken house. haven't lost any chickens yet, but the chucks got 500 feet of beans in two days. My S.O. says I am acting like Bill Murray in Caddyshack. I haven't gone so far as dynamite yet..........

Quote:
Love that movie.....

do you talk to yourself too, while getting the woodchucks?

You know there is never just one of those buggers. They come in threes I swear. My dad use to shoot them out of the garden from the upstairs bedroom window with a 12 gauge.
Boy, did my mom give him heck.

Back
Top Bottom