Warhorse???

Most backyard breeders on this site want a breed who is easily raised. While the Warhorse is a hardy breed deserving of preservation most backyard breeders are not prepared for the temperament of this gamey breed.

My FIL bred the Warhorse and had to take special care in that the chicks had to be separated due to cannibalism. Broody hens were territorial and fought to the death. Cockerels start fighting at a young age and require individual housing. If housed next to each other they tried to fight through the wire and injured themselves. He had to put walls between the cages. They don't do well in small coops, and are very stressed in confined areas. They like to forage, and are hard to catch once they escape.

The discriminating backyard breeder who understands this breed will find the Warhorse a rewarding endeavor. Since I'm interested in preserving nearly extinct breeds, I considered the Warhorse, as they are a stunning bird. I also considered the Shamo and Aseel as they are also stunning. Sadly, at this time I am not able to properly house a gamey breed, so I selected an 'easy' breed: Jersey Giant.

Due to my past experience with this breed I would not recommend the Warhorse for the beginner. However, for the experienced breeder who has the time and space, the Warhorse is a breed to be proud of.

theoldchick,

I keep games under a variety of conditions and have done so for many years. I also keep a couple dual purpose breeds. American games, including the warhorse line if it still exists, are very easy to keep in a back yard setting. This especially true with free ranged birds. Just keep the number of rooster to one. Game hens in my experience are not aggressive as you indicate. Hens fighting to the death is a function of very sloppy husbandry. Cannibalism can be exhibited by any batch of chicks in poor nutritional condition or otherwise poorly managed.

Games as a whole have been vilified by folks with too little expereince with them.

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, ya nailed that one. Aside from the experienced breeder, probably a small flock with only one rooster would work. Gamefowl generally fall into the description you present. You should know what you`re getting into.......Pop

Is this a warhorse?

Hello I adopted several roosters, they were used for fighting and I have nursed them back to health. But there is this one that they called a Warhorse I havent been able to find much information on him, he beautiful I would love to have a warhorse hen to have chickies. Any advise? Thank you. P.s. Always remember to smile

I recently bought a warhorse and am a "beginner". His name is Foghorn Leghorn and he is very easy to take care if. Have a warhorse hen and a pure white hen... And the three of them live in pen about 10' by 10' with a home built medium sized coop. They are quit content and he has never been difficult or aggressive. The maintenance isn't that much different from other breeds he just eats alot!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom