Warm hugs from the Philippines

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thegreatindoors, Feb 11, 2015.

1. thegreatindoors

thegreatindoors New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Philippines
    Hello there.

I was originally planning on going lurker all the way. Lol.
    But I decided to make an account anyway.

I'm not sure if I can be of help to anyone here especially since most practices in the Philippines may be rather unorthodox.
    That being said, I hope I don't end up getting people upset.

I primarily raise my flock for eggs, meat and as a possible source of income.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
  3. thegreatindoors

thegreatindoors New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Philippines
    Thx for the tip.

4. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!

Going here, will help you get around BYC!!! Has loads of info on how to get around the site!

How to insert pictures on BYC!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    OZexpat is also on the" Old Folks Home" well On it or IN it, I'm not quite certain [​IMG]

6. thegreatindoors

thegreatindoors New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Philippines
    Thanks for the very useful links. Don't worry, I've brushed through the "Getting Started" stuff. But WOW though. Unlimited storage for pics sounds like it's gonna be worth taking pics of my chicks from this point on. (Assuming I get to have a working camera soon. Oh and... yeah. 16 newly hatched chicks. Really cute ones.)

There are some areas that I would like to ask about in advance though. I'd like to avoid offending anyone. (And it seems I may have missed these topics in the "getting started" section if they were there.)

Are we a community that's against cock-fighting? (I'm aware it's illegal in a lotta places but sadly, it's severely legal here in my country.) Don't worry, I don't intend to go into it. I'm just considering it as an additional means of income to breed and sell game fowl. I am in a scenario where I could use all the funds I can get, especially since the chicken population in my yard is quite multiplying. ~_~ (I started out with one hen and somehow, it's now six hens, four roosters, nine youngsters that are about to mature and sixteen chicks.) I need to find more sources that would provide them with proper food and nutrition.
    If we are a community that's against it, I would try my best to avoid ever mentioning it.

Also, is it generally acceptable for our community to mention "Breeding Chickens for Food"? (Aside from the eggs.) I've noticed a lotta people here consider their chickens as pets and I'm not sure if it would offend them if I ever mention it.

I hope this doesn't get the wrong idea across. I do care for them and that's why I checked this site out. I figured I'd research more into understanding them and how to take better care of them. There's this really old local saying that goes something like "The more care you bring into raising a chicken, the better the meat would taste."

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's very wise of you to ask how to avoid offending anyone. This is a very large community made up of people from all over the world and with a wide range of opinions and experiences.

I can't speak about cockfighting as I have no experience with that, so if I saw a thread title about cockfighting, I would just pass by it.There will be some who read about it and be offended and others that read it and want to have a conversation about it.

As for eating your poultry, some people do and some don't. It doesn't bother me that some members eat their chickens (but they better not touch mine, lol). There are a lot of members on here that raise meat birds for food.

Those are my thoughts on your concerns. I think you'll find a place to fit in well here.

8. thegreatindoors

thegreatindoors New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Philippines
    Lol. Don't worry, I'm not into eating other people's chickens. (Unless I buy it from them and they willingly sell. e.g. at a marketplace or at the grocery.)

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just tread slowly whenever it's sensitive topics.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  10. thegreatindoors

thegreatindoors New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Philippines
    Thanks for the info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by