Warning about heating coop.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Sheriff, Dec 4, 2013.

1. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    My husbands's daughter has neighbors with 20 chickens. Last night they worried about the chickens being cold, so they placed a space heater in the coop. The coop burned to the ground and every chicken died in the fire. Please think carefully about heating in areas with animals. There are worse things than cold chickens. RIP chickens.

2 people like this.
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    geez !!! poor things. thanks for the advise. i worried about a heat lamp too because i have straw in there for the winter. i am glad i didnt use it.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thank you so much for sharing. You probably have saved someone's flock.

4. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Well that's one. How many more this year? All for the misguided, and totally senseless worry about the chickens being cold. Nothing like a coop fire to really warm them up.

5. peeweesfarm

peeweesfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2013
    Willow Alaska
    I live in Willow Alaska, I have 17 girls an 1 rooster out in the coop, it has been -26 to the heat wave of 24 degrees this morning , my coop is a modified tool shed 8x8,I use a heat lamp High in the coop , my girls have been laying 10-12 eggs a day. If it gets colder or a long cold snap I have a oil filled electric heater I will use as the coop is uninsulated this year but will be next year, also have a vent(screened) on the wind less side of the coop. The heater sits on a shelf /cubby hole an is screened off so the girls cant get to it ,as far as going out side on warm days I open the door an sit at the kitchen table an watch them peck at the snow on the step of the coop they wont come out of there, It is quite comical an have sat there an drank a pot of coffee watching them .

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can't fix stupid.

7. Poor chickens [​IMG]That is a sad story. I will never heat my coop! I will never take that chance!!! Thanks so much for the advice! I was wondering to with the hard freeze.. But now I won't be heating my coop unless for some reason they would die with no heat, and taking the chance would be worth it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Kazfam

Kazfam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2013
    Reminds of the woman my husband worked with who put an electric blanket out for her outdoor cats to sleep on.
    Not one cat slept on the blanket - preferred the bare deck or ground.

We tend to treat animals like people - not even close, eh?

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know. A space heater? Seriously? I'm sorry they lost their birds, but space heaters are so notorious for starting fires in the first place.

Then again, maybe putting it in the coop prevented them from using it in the house and their kids dying in a house fire. You just never know.

10. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    That's sooo sad[​IMG]. Unfortunetly, that's how we live and learn. No heat here in Michigan and they are doing just fine. They do love the warm water in their dish and hot oatmeal![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by