Warning about metal feeders

So sorry you lost your duckling.... Thanks for the warning though. I have never used the metal ones, prefer the plastic ones, but I never would have thought about it actually injuring a chick or duck... Now I know I will never buy one!

I have used the long red plastic feeders and liked them. I'm so glad I've never gotten a metal one. As another poster said, I too have seen my chicks use the feeder as a type of jungle gym - they couldve really gotten hurt on sharp edges! So sorry about your little ones!

Oh that is so horrible! I'm sorry you had that happen. I use rabbit hopper feeders for my ducks, but I have used the feeders you are describing in the past. The rabbit hoppers work better with duck bills, IMO.

th.gif
Thanks for the warning!

I have one of the metal chick feeders and I cut myself on it numerous times, and then one of my chicks cut herself on it too.

I took it out and next time I have chicks I'll buy a plastic one. Plus, after a while, the chicks weren't eating because they didn't like the thing. I can't blame them.

I didnt know it was a problem until one of my Spitz chick got a gouge on her nose which it was bleeding. Now she was fine but carried a scar for the rest of her life.

Makes me rethink the feeding things!

I bought one of each. I am now using the bottom of the round one for a broody feed dish, and the bottom of the long one for grit and oyster shell. Tossed the tops a long time ago. Got sick of trying to get the tops on and off.

Now I am worried about my 2 gal metal waterer poisoning them! But you know, I think that's really all that was available for years.

Back
Top Bottom