Warning!!! Adorable Baby Coturnix Quail!!!

I have to see anything else in the world as cute as baby quail. Even my 2 yo son looks at them and says, "Baby birds! Cute!"

Paper towels are fine for the first few days so that the babies can find the food scattered on top of the towels instead of them getting mixed in with shavings. After 2-3 days the chicks should be eating out of a feeder and then the paper towels can be removed and the chicks should be on wood shavings. Paper towels have enough traction, you should just never use news paper, its way too slippery.

I only suggested
smile.png
Button quail and Coturnix quail have fragile feet and legs...

I have one Manchurian that came out of the incubator with splay legs. I tried out the band-aid quick fix and it seems much happier; it is hopping around and staying upright with no problem. I've been giving it sugar water to help keep it strong, but I've already seen it hopping into the food dish.

Just over half of the eggs hatched, which is what I was expecting out of shipped eggs in August. I had 49 at last count, more whites and less browns than I expected, with a good number of Tibetans and Manchurians and one lonely Tuxedo. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the new additions.

How is your splay leg baby?

I had a few that had a hard time they were slipping and splaying, I took all the paper towels out and just left the rubber shelf liner and in the morning they were fine. THen I put the paper towels back under the food area.

Every now and again I get a chciken chick with splay that I bandaide overnight.

Hope your baby was better this morning.

The chick with splay leg is doing much better now, in fact it takes me a little while to figure out which one it is. I have to pick up several before I narrow it down. I'll leave the band-aid on until the morning, just to be sure that the rehab takes. Had two late hatchers last night so I am up to 51 babies. That is about the number that I was hoping for. I have a good assortment of each color and will be able to be selective about which I keep for breeding. My plan is to keep browns and goldens together as well as Tibetans and whites. The third section of my quail house/pen will hold my extras of all colors as they finish growing.

Back
Top Bottom