Warning! Chickens died in pvc feeder!

What is also suspicious is that nobody else has reported this issue, as far as I know. I have never known chickens to want to wedge themselves into a small opening. Just what I needed.... one more thing to worry about.

We had this happen to us too. Fortunately, the pullet had only recently gotten herself stuck when we noticed and we're able to get her out safely. The feeder had gotten low. That's why we think she got in so far. We make sure they are now always very full and haven't had any other issues. Sorry for your loss.

I think mine would still be okay with our full grown birds but this was very timely as I'm hatching at the moment and would have not thought twice about leaving it in with much younger birds. I might look at adjusting the younger birds to be more like birdladies above though that doesn't look like it can be closed at night to keep the mice out. I do recall there being much more pushing and shoving and two heads in the feeder to get food when they were younger where my adults just wait and take turns these days even when first let out in the morning.

So sorry you had this happen.

Yes, our feeder got low, that's how they managed to stuff themselves up into it. They are now huge and would never fit in the pipe. We have a few babies so we are going to be extra cautious about keeping them full. Wouldn't you know after this happen not even a few days later I went into the coop and found another hen wedged between the wall and a bag of food I left against the wall. She must of went in between to roost and got stuck. Luckily she was ok, her feathers were just a little ruffled!

that is horrible! I can't believe what happened to you. What are these chickens thinking?
barnie.gif

((hugs)) So sorry that happened to you! Chickens can really get themselves into a bind can't they? Ugh. Regardless of how much we try to keep bad stuff from happening :(

I'm devastated. This just happened to me tonight... my very first loss and I'm so upset. I never, never thought this could happen. I had checked on them about an hour earlier and they were all fine. I go out to lock up for the night and my little RiR was stuck in there.... it's just awful.... I feel so horrible that I hadn't seen this thread earlier. I guess I have to figure out something else for the chicks until they're a little bigger. My heart is breaking.

Back
Top Bottom