1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WARNING! Don't forget to keep chicks from drowning in the water :(

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shortgrass, Dec 11, 2015.

1. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    I had a heartbreaking failure of brain function and lost a week old chick because I forgot to safeguard the water pan. :(

Long story short, too much on my mind, too many projects, and too many birds having babies at the wrong time of year overloaded my plate and I forgot a critical component to raising chicks; making sure they can't drown in the water.

I use rubber feed pans as waterers for my older hens and had a broody hatch out a chick a week ago. I had thought of putting a few bricks in it yesterday when I noticed my broody with her lone chick out and about, and I got sidetracked and spaced it out...

Came home from a short trip for groceries this morning to my week old EE Silke chick floating in the water pan that i had forgotten to put bricks in; the chick waterer still in the coop by the nest :(

I guess I'm sharing in hopes that my hard lesson can be a lesson to others, minus the heartbreak of telling your children their chick drowned because "mommy was irresponsible and learned the hard way to slow down and take care of the animals because they can't do it themselves."

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Turtle Rock Poultry Premium Member

Aug 1, 2015
    Oh no! I'm so sorry you lost one; its especially heartbreaking when it is a chick. :hugs
    Thanks for sharing.

3. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Thank you for the condolences; yes, it stinks. :(

Kicking myself, still... I feel really really stupid.

But if it saves YOU a chick, then it was worth it.

:)

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sorry to hear this [​IMG]

Thanks for posting the reminder.

5. shortgrass

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Thank you :)

Still kicking myself, consider it my punishment so I don't forget again.

Poor little guy :(

[​IMG]

And momma was so proud...

[​IMG]

6. novacooper1

novacooper1 New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    I lost 4 chicks this year when they drowned in the duck water. I was so sad, a mistake I will never make again :'-( Sending good thoughts, we all learn as we go in being stewards of these amazing little creatures <3

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Awww, sure was a cutie pie and Momma does look proud. Maybe she will go broody soon and can have a few more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by