WARNING! Don't forget to keep chicks from drowning in the water :(

shortgrass

Crowing
7 Years
Mar 14, 2015
Northern Colorado
I had a heartbreaking failure of brain function and lost a week old chick because I forgot to safeguard the water pan. :(

Long story short, too much on my mind, too many projects, and too many birds having babies at the wrong time of year overloaded my plate and I forgot a critical component to raising chicks; making sure they can't drown in the water.

I use rubber feed pans as waterers for my older hens and had a broody hatch out a chick a week ago. I had thought of putting a few bricks in it yesterday when I noticed my broody with her lone chick out and about, and I got sidetracked and spaced it out...

Came home from a short trip for groceries this morning to my week old EE Silke chick floating in the water pan that i had forgotten to put bricks in; the chick waterer still in the coop by the nest :(

I guess I'm sharing in hopes that my hard lesson can be a lesson to others, minus the heartbreak of telling your children their chick drowned because "mommy was irresponsible and learned the hard way to slow down and take care of the animals because they can't do it themselves."

Last edited:
Oh no! I'm so sorry you lost one; its especially heartbreaking when it is a chick. :hugs
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the condolences; yes, it stinks. :(

Kicking myself, still... I feel really really stupid.

But if it saves YOU a chick, then it was worth it.

:)

Sorry to hear this
hugs.gif

Thanks for posting the reminder.

I lost 4 chicks this year when they drowned in the duck water. I was so sad, a mistake I will never make again :'-( Sending good thoughts, we all learn as we go in being stewards of these amazing little creatures <3

Back
Top Bottom