Warning graphic images

mozzar_ELLA

Chirping
May 27, 2020
Elk Grove,CA
I had a chicken death last night. Completely unexpected and she looks normal. (Not a predator attack) This is my first unexpected death and I have no idea why could of caused it. She was eating and drinking and laying yesterday. I’ve attached a picture because one of her legs was kind of splayed out. Can anyone share some stories that might shed some little? We are gonna to try to get her autopsied but with COVID idk if they will take her

Attachments

• 9D6DF83D-79B1-4950-B8A1-E7D15205D1A0.jpeg
    9D6DF83D-79B1-4950-B8A1-E7D15205D1A0.jpeg
    911.6 KB · Views: 32
  • BC521419-C959-49EC-B564-12C6DCAB060B.jpeg
    BC521419-C959-49EC-B564-12C6DCAB060B.jpeg
    769.8 KB · Views: 30
I had a chicken death last night. Completely unexpected and she looks normal. (Not a predator attack) This is my first unexpected death and I have no idea why could of caused it. She was eating and drinking and laying yesterday. I’ve attached a picture because one of her legs was kind of splayed out. Can anyone share some stories that might shed some little? We are gonna to try to get her autopsied but with COVID idk if they will take her
Honestly without an autopsy there's only so much guessing you can do. If you aren't too squeamish, you can do the autopsy yourself. It's a good skill to learn and can be very informative. I believe a few people on here have guides on it.

This happens sometimes with chickens and there's no explanation.

Did you notice her stretch her neck at all to breathe occasionally? Has she had access to any poisons? Can she get into a neighbor's yard? Did someone stare at her for too long or give her a funny look? Was she vaccinated?

I'm sorry about your hen.

When a bird dies, often there is some motion/reflexes so the body and legs can end up in different positions, so you can't say what one died of by how you found them.
Without necropsy, there's really no way to know what happened. So many things can happen. With a laying hen that was fine one day and gone the next, I would suspect some type of reproductive or liver disorder but that's speculation on my part.
There should be no problem taking her to your state lab. UC Davis is the CA lab. Just refrigerate the body/keep it cool until you get it to them.

Some observations: she looks like a neat and tidy healthy bird, her area looks clean, her plumage is nice and her comb and wattles seem to have nice color.

So sorry for your loss

I think she may have eaten something she wasn't supposed to eat. Possibly an internal issue having to do with organs but if she's eating, drinking, laying, acting normal, it just seems too bizarre for her to drop dead.

Have you introduced any new chickens recently?

When a bird dies, often there is some motion/reflexes so the body and legs can end up in different positions, so you can't say what one died of by how you found them.
Without necropsy, there's really no way to know what happened. So many things can happen. With a laying hen that was fine one day and gone the next, I would suspect some type of reproductive or liver disorder but that's speculation on my part.
There should be no problem taking her to your state lab. UC Davis is the CA lab. Just refrigerate the body/keep it cool until you get it to the

There should be no problem taking her to your state lab. UC Davis is the CA lab. Just refrigerate the body/keep it cool until you get it to them.
Ya I’m just shocked. She was absolutely fine. I live in ca and Davis is close so that’s why I’d go there. Thanks for the input.

Some observations: she looks like a neat and tidy healthy bird, her area looks clean, her plumage is nice and her comb and wattles seem to have nice color.

So sorry for your loss

I think she may have eaten something she wasn't supposed to eat. Possibly an internal issue having to do with organs but if she's eating, drinking, laying, acting normal, it just seems too bizarre for her to drop dead.

Have you introduced any new chickens recently?
Yes it’s very strange that’s what is adding to my alarm. I haven’t introduced any new birds and no changes in food either. I’m at a loss. Thanks for commenting

This happens sometimes with chickens and there's no explanation.

Did you notice her stretch her neck at all to breathe occasionally? Has she had access to any poisons? Can she get into a neighbor's yard? Did someone stare at her for too long or give her a funny look? Was she vaccinated?
She was vaccinated for myrek’s. I didn’t notice and neck stretching. Just an occasional yawn like they all do. There haven’t been any abnormal poos and I don’t use any kind of poison of hazardous fertilizers because of the danger of cross contamination with the hens. And no yard hopping everyone has huge fences around here so I definitely would of noticed if she had gone walk about. Thanks

UPDATE:: I just got the report back and unfortunately it was her liver. The report said this can happen when birds are fed high energy diets with limited exercise. So kind of good news bad news. Good news it wasn’t an infectious disease that got over looked by my regular check ups but bad news apparently my girls aren’t getting their exercise in. I’m really glad I know now though. Not knowing was so hard and not knowing if there could be other deaths while waiting. I know some people suggested it could be her liver. Is there anyone else who has been through this? How can I encourage even more activity?

Back
Top Bottom