Warning Graphic Pic - Was this a hawk attack?

Quote:
No, wing is not gone. It was a hawk though....gotta be. Today TWICE they tried to get another.... I saw a bunch of feathers in the back range yard which look like they came from one of my white guineas...... and just not 10 minutes ago I saw a hawk fly by my office window and I went running out to the deck.... there it was, on top of one of my light brahmas..... feathers all over and I started screaming and stomping my feet and it flew up off it..... AAAANNNDDDDD my poor baby took off running towards the coop! I was so happy it was alive, I thought it was dead... Lord have mercy.

They are really out for food now.....perhaps their partner has babies in the nest and they are out looking for food.... I'm so disappointed since I don't remember ever having this problem before.

~Tammy

Thank you all for your responses and your 'love'.... appreciate it very much so.

I have been searching some of the other posts and it seems that people say to try alternatives... one being getting large turkeys..... I've got 8 of them and the hawks still come.

Also read that getting a windmill might help. I've got two....quite large ones in fact....right in the middle of the chicken free range yard.... doesn't deter the flying minions.

Also read get a rooster.... I have one. He's over powered by the two Tom turkeys mostly so he doesn't 'guard' like he used to... but having the 3 boys around doesn't seem to deter the hawks too much either.

Also have a dog.....a very barky dog (rat terrier) who seems to hate birds and rats....puts up a fierce act when any are around.... that doesn't seem to bother the minons one bit.

Soooooo I guess the only thing that I could try next is sitting in my yard all day while it's daylight....drink lemonade and be at the ready with a very loud air horn? I think a loaded gun would be a better choice but alas....it is a federal crime indeed....

Hmmmmm.....perhaps an airhorn isn't a bad idea to have at the ready..... :) Wonder if a slingshot with small bags of flour as the ammo....if that's illegal? hmmmmm... wouldn't or shouldn't kill em but if it hit them....it might scare them enough to stay away....

~Tammy

Back
Top Bottom