Warning: quail drowning

Dmparrish

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2023
This was my first time incubating. 12 chicks made it. I have them in the producers pride brooder. I didn't trust the heating plate that it came with so I took it out and put in a heat lamp in one corner and a small heat plate in the opposite one. They were all thriving till yesterday. It was the second day I transferred from a small waterer to the one that came with the brooder. I walked in and one of my babies was drowned upside down stuck in it. I tried to give it mouth to mouth and cpr. It was still warm when I found it. But I either did it wrong or it didn't work. I think it may have gotten pinned between the heating plate and the waterer because I had the guard in there and everything. Needless to say I reverted back to the small waterer. Just a heads up for others to be in alert. I am devastated that it was healthy and I was in the other room when it happened. Horrible feeling.

Attachments

• 16794909935548109376522020780268.jpg
    16794909935548109376522020780268.jpg
    575.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20230322_091522_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322_091522_Chrome.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 27
Oh, one more thing. You may want to stick with just the heat lamp. The chicks need a warm end and cool end of the brooder. That helps them acclimate to normal temperatures and they can also choose a comfortable temperature for themselves. Overheating is just as lethal as not enough heat.
thank you. yes, i did have pebbles in the small one but thought the guard was sufficient when i had changed them out for the one that came with it. back to the pebble one. I will take it out. they seem to like standing on it. any suggestions on any type of platform i can add to mimic it without giving them other options to off themselves? 😭

I always use this type of waterer for Quail hatchlings for about the first week then go to a normal chick waterer for another week or so this has worked with no problems and is much easier than using rocks or marbles when changing and cleaning. It's very small no way to drown in this Harris Farms Quail Waterer Base.

Last edited:
I use a jar lid full of pebbles for mine for the first week .. then I use a chicken chick type waterer with pebbles in for another week and then I transfer them to cage waterers once they're 2 weeks old, but yeah the rule is... if they can put their head through it they will, so if u can get ur Pinky finger tip tru any gaps ur chicks can and WILL get stuck there xx

I always use this type of waterer for Quail hatchlings for about the first week then go to a normal chick waterer for another week or so this has worked with no problems and is much easier than using rocks or marbles when changing and cleaning. It's very small no way to drown in this Harris Farms Quail Waterer Base.
These are what I use for quail and pheasants for about the 1st week. They are 'drown proof'!! ;)

Back
Top Bottom