Warning to perspective first-time emu owners!

Hi ES Emus, could you elaborate a little bit on how your emus behave in winter? We're in central NY, so the winters here can be harsh... and my girls don't want anything to do with their house anymore... it's a 10' x 12' shed with a huge double door. They're about 7 months old and seem to be very hardy already (we've had some horrible storms here lately, but they don't even bat an eye!) but I still worry. I thought about building a wind break or a lean-to out of 8' x 4' pallets, but I'm not sure if they would even use it. Do yours even try to get out of the wind and snow, or do they just lay down wherever? Thanks in advance. :)
I guess its just what they get used to, mine come in my horse barn every night summer and winter as soon as it starts to get dark. El sleeps in the first stall on his blanket (hes very odd and wonderful) and Ed sleeps in the center aisle on a pile of hay.

What is the value of the common emu? Not some super high quality emus right off the boat from Australia. And not some inbred cull. Just your average-joe emu lol. Like how much can they be bought/sold for fairly? From them as chicks. To month olds, to 3 month olds, to 6 month olds, to yearlings, then to adults. What is the value at those stages of maturities. I live on the eastern seaboard. If that fluctuates the value in anyway.
Emus are pretty cheap around here mate- You just need to walk out into the bush in breeding season and find a nest!
But even that is probably illegal these days.
I had some friends on a farm who had a sheep, a cow and an emu who had bonded together, and were always together out in the paddocks -Cute.

Ashburnham! So good to see you!!

And . . . I betcha a bottle of beer you can't find a nestig male next season.

Chicks r out. I haven't seen them but a friend had.

Number One is here at present

SE

I'm new to emus and have a question. How long does it take for them to gain complete balance while walking? I have many peaocks, pheasants and chickens but I doubt they can be compared to the emus. I am hoping that their rapid growth and long legs are the reason they are still having a little trouble walking a straight line Thanks much

As of today they are 9 days old. although they have been improving they still act as if I have been adding a little bit of wine to their water. I'm really starting to worry that something might be wrong. I have been feeding them 16% crumbles, kale and leaf lettuce which they really like and a little boiled egg which my peachicks love.They are not on a slippery surface,in fact I put them on a towel to see if that helped. They hatched on day 53, could this be a problem? thank you for your help.

As of today they are 9 days old. although they have been improving they still act as if I have been adding a little bit of wine to their water. I'm really starting to worry that something might be wrong. I have been feeding them 16% crumbles, kale and leaf lettuce which they really like and a little boiled egg which my peachicks love.They are not on a slippery surface,in fact I put them on a towel to see if that helped. They hatched on day 53, could this be a problem? thank you for your help.
Not sure but are they getting plenty of fresh air and some sunshine too ?
Also, as long as it's warm enough for YOU to walk outside barefoot they can be outside for a while too, just try and keep them out of too drafty area and don't let them get wet just yet.
You many want to add some vitamins and electrolytes to their water too, one with probiotics added would be good if you have it.

It's been in the fiftys and raining for days and days so outside has been a problem. I finally took them out for a short time yesterday after work and while it didn't take long for them to start shivering they started running around!!! They fell over their own feet a few times but they seemed to improve greatly from a few days ago. I did try the electrolytes in the first days but will start them back again. They tried all kinds of greens and even rose petals while they were outside. I am also a little concerned about runny poo. I worm my peacocks when this happens. Do you think they are being troubled with worms already? I mean they are not even 2 weeks old and have not been outside enough to be exposed I don't think. Oh and I am a wimp when it comes to cold so it would be a long time before they go outside if I base it on my ownself :) Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom