Warning to perspective first-time emu owners!

I cannot wait to buy my farm propertin a few years

emus are oene of the first animals ojmn the list as well as turkeys and chickens <3

they are just too **** goofy.

like a lamma with two legs and a chicken face <3

I'm getting my first emu soon a friend has offer me a 3.5 year old emu that's friendly I'm going to let her live with my pygmy goats since she was raised with goats all her life and get depressed if she doesn't have them living with her

Last edited:
It seems like emus are becoming fashionable to own again, as I have been contacted by record numbers of perspective egg and chick buyers. Many of these people have never raised or even been around an adult emu.  One of the first questions that I ask any potential customer is, "how much space do you have for your pen?". 

I have been amazed at the number of people who have not considered how much room an adult emu requires and planned to raise then in an "old dog or chicken pen".  When I get that for an answer, I refuse to consider selling them an emu, even if they get mad or offer me more that what I would normally charge.

Emus are very large birds (duh?) and need to be able to run in order to strengthen their legs and get their exercise.  They are not birds that can typically be kept in a back yard "cage" or even the typical residential back yard!.  They can run at speeds in excess of 30 miles per hour and take up to 9' in a single stride!  Their pens need to be very long (120' or more), although they can be narrow in design.

If you are thinking about becoming an emu owner, remember that an emu, as a rule, requires about the same space that a horse would and you would not (hopefully) think about keeping a horse cooped up in an old dog pen!

you seem 2 know alot about emu and I was wondering what style should the pen be ( not distance but if i need Insulation or a roof things like that)

Back
Top Bottom