Warning to perspective first-time emu owners!

Do you in the US know the (Australian) song "old man emu"? When I saw this thread in the title it popped into my head and now it's stuck there.

0.jpg

I have handled and rehabbed an Emu in the past. Recently, a despicable human being "dumped" 2 (healthy) 8 week old chicks on my rescue. I have 6 acres of wire and board fencing with a shallow running stream. Never having babies before, I'm getting tons of "Back Yard" advice. I want quality Emu feed appropriate for growing chicks and cannot find a dealer... Help?

Thank you for the info. I wanted to try to have a couple. With your tips and advice, I now realize I would not make a very good emu owner! Very good info in the original post and all the replies!

I am considering keeping 1 emu or 2 in my 1 acrea walled garden.
It has a poly tunnel and greenhouse and large sheds and a mini compost and 2 big berry bushes. We have a poultry run,golden pheasant run ,garden fantails flying free,parrotlet aviary's, budgie aviary and Finch and canarys and a diamond dove aviary.
I am considering hatching them.
Any tips on hatching and rearing.

Is it possible for dogs and Emus to get on.
Can foxes kill them and birds of prey
Can they kill rats and mice.
Will they dig up our strawberry patch and leek patch

A few tips for keeping emu.
They will fight against fencing, avoid stock fence on its own, I use chicken wire for the bottom 3 ft to stop legs going though and being torn up.

For the perimeter fence they have crap eye sight for fencing when running so I use barrier red and white around as a visual aid to stop them.

There legs will get cut mine always do, vet wrap, iodine patches, cotton wool roll, and melonin patches.
Saved many an emu leg!

Always be very careful when handling even young as they will kick and can tear flesh open easily.

They are a big powerful bird and can kill other animals and seriously injure you please concider the dangers they are not for everyone.

They don't get along with rhea.

Food, pig nut food, barley, grass, fodder, grapes, apples.

Back
Top Bottom