Warning......

Boo-Boo's Mama :

That is why our run is covered. We have hawks in our neighborhood and I did not want to lose any of our chickens to them. We discussed 2x4 welded wire but decided it would be good to have a solid roof to keep rain and wild birds out of their feed plus provide shade.

I want to build a better roof over the entire pen and coop but for now I have my coop with a solid, peak cover and the pen area which is flat with welded wire. I lay plywood on top for shade during the warm seasons and remove it for added sunshine in the winter months. Its nice to have the option. In any case, I cant imagine not having a good, solid top over both the pen and coop area.​

I've had 2 hawks attacks. After the first attack the hawk came back to the scene of the crime. I found the hawk pacing on the ground around my chicken tractor trying to figure out a way to get in. There was no way for it to get in, but it didn't stop walking around the tractor until I chased it away. My hens were freaking out. The second attack I had was on my duck pen. I had electric mesh fencing 4 feet high, fishing line strung every 4 feet across the top of the pen, CDs hung everywhere... so I figured it was as safe as I could make it. Covering the entire run was out of the question because the run was about 500 sq. feet. A hawk swooped down and grabbed a duck through the fence. The hawk wasn't shocked by the electric fence because it attacked from the air and was not grounded. The duck didn't stand a chance. Again, the hawk came back several times after the original kill.

Hawks are very tenacious. They will test and test set-ups until they find a weakness. The only way to be sure they can't get your birds is to cover your whole run.

Sorry for your loss. It's always the favorites that get snapped up.

We have about 400 Sq. Ft. of run bounded by chain link fence, for the top I used that orange construction webbing, the big box stores sell, I stretch it fairly tight I cover the webbing with deer netting. The combination is relatively inexpensive and surprisingly tough. Twice I have seen hawks dive and boy do they bounce when they hit that top.....
gig.gif

3 Ameraucana white layers, 1 RIR Hen, 4 Golden Comets just starting to lay, 1 EE getting ready to lay, 2 Road Runner Hens (caught in woods when they were about 2 weeks old), and they are great layers, one weary Black Giant Roo (I think 11 - 1 ratio was to much for even him
lau.gif
) he is now in isolation, once he gains another pound or so he will graduate to Freezer U. he is just to big for the girls, and to rough. 15 new Ameraucanas: I think 7 roos and 8 pullets time will tell, 9 weeks old.

Ace

Back
Top Bottom