Was a nail biter, but my order from Meyer arrived this afternoon

Cuties!
Meyer in my experience sends out really pretty birds.
Three of my flock came from there a S.S, Dominique and Faverolles and they are nice looking with good personalities.
The only thing is that they're small, all three breeds.
Good layers though and healthy,
I think you'll continue to be happy with them.:)

I think I have 2 Cuckoo Marans. Lightly feathered legs on both. I briefly thought the second one (last two photos) was Blue Cuckoo, but no leg band.

God, I hope they're not roosters.

I wanted another Marans hen, but was hesitating because of the last 3 Marans pullets I ordered, 2 turned out to be roosters. I was willing to risk it for a Splash Marans, but not for a Cuckoo. I already have a Blue Cuckoo Marans rooster...

And the plot thickens... I just contacted Meyer and the chicks in the rare breed assortments that are normally banded aren't always banded.

"They can be banded, but they aren't always banded with assortments"

I have no idea what I have. Why did I do this to myself? :confused:
If the cuckoo are roosters, they will probably be sweet boys. They will probably be easy to rehome if that is your plan. Most people love nice roosters with feathered feet. Haha. Enjoy your surprise!

Thank you! The chicks went to 3 different USPS distribution centers, all within driving distance of me, yesterday. I wish there was a way I could have intercepted them when they first got to Houston. It was maddening watching the tracking.

Anyway... They all made it through the night.

I was a little worried. I've always used a Titan brooder plate with my chicks and have even lent it out to friends who have used it with great success, but in a moment of panic, I bought a Producer's Pride plate from TS on Tuesday. I have both plates in the brooder, but was worried the PP would fail. It apparently worked well, although, in comparison to the Titan, the adjustable legs are very short. It's larger than the Titan and was only $41, though, so it's a good option for hatchlings.

I think this is a Cochin. Very heavily feathered legs, no band and no extra toe. This is going to drive me crazy.
I bet ! .Well instead of a planned out flock you have a chicken village:hugs. The chicks a cutie :lovesomeone down south lost almost her whole order when her chicks went all over after Ida so there's that. Her hatchery was only 4 hours away:hit

I think I have 2 Cuckoo Marans. Lightly feathered legs on both. I briefly thought the second one (last two photos) was Blue Cuckoo, but no leg band.

God, I hope they're not roosters.

I wanted another Marans hen, but was hesitating because of the last 3 Marans pullets I ordered, 2 turned out to be roosters. I was willing to risk it for a Splash Marans, but not for a Cuckoo. I already have a Blue Cuckoo Marans rooster...

And the plot thickens... I just contacted Meyer and the chicks in the rare breed assortments that are normally banded aren't always banded.

"They can be banded, but they aren't always banded with assortments"

I have no idea what I have. Why did I do this to myself? :confused:
Your chicks are so adorable I want to SQUEEZE THEM. I have been designated the birth to 4 week brooder for our entire family since I love baby chicks so much. If brooding little chicks to pullet size was a full-time job I would work every day with no time off...I LOOVE the babies!

Last edited:
Your chicks are so adorable I want to SQUEEZE THEM. I have not been designated the birth to 4 week brooder for our entire family since I love baby chicks so much. If brooding little chicks to pullet size was a full-time job I would work every day with no time off...I LOOVE the babies!
But what would you do with all those cockrels? Asking for a friend...who loves cockrels.😁😉

Very happy to hear that! Thank you for sharing! You quite probably saved me from scorching my hand again.

Hold a good thought for the Cochins please. Aside from the heat, I've got a breeding population of huge Cooper's hawks in my woods. Large, slow moving white chickens... Lord help me.

I desperately wanted a Langshan! I envy you.

I believe my Australorps came from Ideal - I have a blue and a black - they're my favorite girls. Beautiful with great personalities. You're so fortunate to live within driving distance of the hatchery.
How hot is it over there? It got up to 115 degrees here (a while ago) and one of my brahmas died of heat stroke and stress but the other is still here and doing great! Both my Cochins and langshans (who were 1-2) weeks also made it through (along with the rest of my 90+ birds) and I haven’t had anymore problems. All the others seemed to adapt to the heat and as long as you have water and good ventilation most birds should be fine! Mine just kind of was focused on laying and sitting in the nest box and wouldn’t drink much or try to keep herself cool.🤷🏽‍♀️😕

Back
Top Bottom