Was Adopted By Chickens

andylegate

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Hi there! My name is Andy Legate and I live here with my family in South Carolina.

Several weeks ago, we were "adopted" by 4 hens. There were actually about 10 to 12 hens that invaded our land here (about 10 acres that we live on). They came from a neighbor that had pretty much abandoned them apparently.

There were quite a few different looking ones. Some where black and white spotted, a few were completely amber looking, and several were white with brown spots here and there, with very faint amber looking necks.

My 11 year old son, and his cousins got bird seed and started to feed them, so the hens stuck around the house for a while. After about 4 or 5 days, the majority of the hens took off, except for 4 of the white ones with some brown spots. They were the biggest too.

These 4 decided apparently that they had found a new home with us here and moved in under my house.

Now, we had talked about having some chickens here, but never really got serious about it. Now however, I have chickens living under my house and coming out to feet.....chicken poo everywhere too of course. Can't quite have that, even though I've grown attached to these 4 girls.

They are quite the characters. I went out and got a 50 pound bag of pellets (I was feeding them unpopped popcorn as that is all I had.....which they gobble up like candy). I was feeding them the pellets in the yard, while trying to figure out how to make a coop and run for them.
In the mean time, I was worried about my outside cats messing with them.

I should have known better I guess. Our cats are terrified of the hens, and with good reason. The hens are bigger than them, and it's the hens chasing the cats!

However we do have some dogs that run around loose here. And the dogs really did worry me. So I've set about building a coop for the 4 of them and a run to try and keep them safe (and out from under my house).

They wake us up in the mornings crowing (hen's crow? I looked that up. Apparently they do. Sort of sad sounding crows compared to what I've head from actual roosters, but they do try). They chase off the small wrens that try to land and eat the pellets too.

They are a bit skittish, however come running to me if I making clicking sounds and follow me around the yard. The biggest one with the most brown spots on it will actually let me pet her while she's feeding (though she does make some warning sounds, heh).

I'd like to try to find out what breed these are having NO experience with chickens at all. Also, can I use cedar shavings as bedding for them?

Here's a picture, the white ones are the ones that adopted us:

Okay, no cedar shavings.

Just have to figure out who sells pine shavings. Don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Okay. I'm taking a short break from my horrible attempt at making them a coop. I'm not a carpenter.

I am a electrical and electronic engineer by trade. So, if the hens need power or their electronics fixed, I'm their guy!

smile.png

Great to have you join.

Building a coop can get nerve racking. We keep building on to ours, now have coop condos.

Like stated above, best to post pics over in the "what breed or gender" thread...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this
They would know best there.

Pine shaving at our local store refers to it as horse bedding for stalls. So, you may want to check it as well, compare prices.

images

You don't have to use wood shavings. You can use grass hay which you can get at many feed stores. I use sand in my coops and runs. Sand is a fantastic medium to use. It stays dry with no mud, keeps the flies away, soft on the foot pads, there is no smells in the coop or run, and it is easy to clean. You can use river sand, sand from arroyo's and dry river beds, play sand or get some from sand and gravel companies. These people usually sell it pretty cheap, especially if you haul it yourself. Here is a great thread to read up on sand....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom