1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Was I told the wrong breed please help ???????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5peeps, Apr 29, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Hello ,

I was told at the feed store that 2 of the chick I got were called fancy black sex-links because of the fur on there leg is this ture or was the girl mistaken and if so what are they .

[​IMG]

2. Cassandra

Cassandra Ranger Rick

Oct 27, 2007
    Southwest Mississippi
    Are you serious? That name sounds made up to me. But I am no expert.

The black sex link pullets that I got were solid black with a little tuft of yellow on their bottoms. From what I understand, the males are black with a pale spot on top of their heads.

Cassandra

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Fancy black sexlinks? Looks like a black cochin to me. Which feed store did you go to that told you that?

I supose it is possible to make a sexlink out of a cochin, if you had parents bred for it... but I've never known anyone to do it or have them.

4. 5peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    OK ,
    So thank you , after a little google seach I now see she was wrong .
    they look to be Black Cochin or Barred Cochin I guess I will have to wait and see . I see on my list of chicks they had there that the Barred Cochin is on the list , Maybe I miss heard her and she said they were fancy . Who know just glad to get it striaghtened out .

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Good grief. They made that up. It sounds like when I was told by someone that a cockerel I knew for a fact was a Porcelain D'Uccle was a bearded Cochin, LOL. [​IMG]

6. mergmet

mergmet Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like a cochin to me

my barred cochins come out looking yellow with stripes until they start feathering in

M

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Atleast you guys dont get told one bird is two chicken breeds in one! I got a Silver Penciled Cochin once and the guy told me she was a Bantam Brahma Cochin. [​IMG]

8. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Looks like a cochin and they are great birds [​IMG]

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

When I called my local feed store they also told me they had regular sex links and "fancy" sex links. I asked the difference between them and the guy couldn't tell me! BUT I know they charged a buck more a head for them!

10. 5peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Thank you all for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by