Was just threatened by an 'animal rights activist'...

Hi Blooie - yes that's right! I have friends who are vegan and I only admire their lifestyle. But they always have to tell me 'facts' about how bad eating meat and eggs and milk products is for you :/ I don't take them too seriously - they feel the need to be missionaries to justify themselves; "if I can convince you, then I must be right" - that kind of thing.

People have also criticised me for keeping animals and not being a vegetarian or vegan. They are horrified that I EAT the eggs that my PET chickens lay. What am I supposed to do with the eggs, if not eat them..? Most eggs are not being sat on - they are just laid and abandoned. Am I supposed to let them go bad right where they are and then throw them out? I'm happy to have healthy free-range eggs for my family!

Oh well. I have calmed down already thanks to you guys :) I shouldn't be afraid of any inspection, my animals are well cared for. But it still feels weird to have someone threaten to close me down.

Never mind! I'm sure it won't be the last time I encounter a weirdo :)

time to get some new friends too, maybe - I think your evaluation that 'if I can convince you, then I'm justified' is an accurate view too....
th.gif

First of all, relax. Most of us know that not every egg is a "potential chick" but if this character thinks he can get to you then facts don't matter, and obviously he isn't armed with facts. I've always found it amusing that these folks have no problem screaming at those of who eat meat and use our eggs for our families, trying to guilt us into stopping that behavior, yet we quietly go about our lives NOT trying to force them into the reverse. When was the last time any of you went to a strictly vegan site and started demanding that the people there change their ways? Not very often, I'd bet, unless you're a troll who just enjoys going to web sites and stirring up trouble. I have no problem with people who are concerned about the safety and well being of the animals we take care of - I'd rather they were like that than have no hearts at all. But I do take offense to them name calling, harassing, belittling and threatening another person into their idea of a lifestyle. Whatever happened to, "You live your life and I'll live mine"?

I sure wouldn't worry about him calling some agency to arrest you for cruelty or shut you down. Bet there's a carton of eggs or a package of chicken in that agent's home fridge right now and besides, they are just a little too busy with justified investigations to check you out for a broken egg. And if your facility is clean and well run, you have nothing to worry about anyway, even if they do show up. You blocked and deleted, and that's the only response he needs.
thumbsup.gif
Very well stated, good post!

I think we live in very strange times , so surreal. Seems to me the folks who point fingers at everyone are just unhappy, angry, depressed or psycho and want everyone else to suffer their unhappiness. The silent majority are the most tolerant of all, but getting tired of the constant irritations we are having to deal with. The best way to deal with someone upset about a broken egg is just to ignore them, and enjoy your own life.

Back
Top Bottom