13 week chick is lethargic

LaurenRitz

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Nov 7, 2022
Kansas
I am at a loss. This is the second Speckled Sussex chick (13 weeks) that is showing the same symptoms.

Lethargic, not eating (at least when I can see). She eats and drinks fine when I get her inside, then a day or two after I put her back outside she's right back to the same behavior.

There does not appear to be any bullying, but she won't fight into the feeding frenzy for breakfast. I have tried Corid, no response. I have tried ivermectin, no response that I can detect.

She is currently at 1.4 pounds, same weight as her sister when she died. Approximately where she should be if she was 8 weeks.

There is a possible connection with the heat, but not enough to say that's the problem. When the outside temps are over 80, she's even more lethargic the next morning, but I haven't been keeping track long enough to know if this is an actual connection. I think it's coincidence.

This morning she had tucked herself in a corner of the coop and didn't react when I picked her up.

She's alert and eating now, wanting to go back outside.

I have given her tuna, no interest. I have fed her separately outside and she eats a little then goes back to sleep. Mostly she picks up the food and drops it.

Poop looks normal, no sign of internal or external parasites, but her crop does not fill, probably because she's eating so little.

I offer a commercial feed and fermented grains, but mostly they free range.

Can you please post a picture of this pullet outside, in her typical stance?
I have tried Corid
What dose and how long? Did you drench her during treatment? Did you have anything else in the water during treatment?

At her age and being lethargic with no other symptoms I'd be concerned about coccidiosis.
The high heat could certainly add stress to a bird that is not hydrating normally.

She's been drenched twice in the last 12 weeks, both times a two day treatment. Corid in the water for the whole flock the first time, the second time I just treated her inside and did not treat the rest of the flock. Nothing else in the water.

Her sister got the same treatment with the same results. (No, her sister did not die of whatever this is.)

A third bird that got sick responded immediately to the Corid drench, but neither of these responded in the slightest.

A month ago and yesterday.
1000000040.jpg

20240524_073233.jpg

Corid can be drenched once a day 0.1 ml per pound, in addition to a 5-7 day treatment in the water. Dosage of the Corid liquid is 2 tsp per gallon, while the powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon. You can also then reduce the dosage to 1/3 of that for an additional 5 days. Give no B vitamins that include thiamine while on Corid. If you lose another, have your state vet do a necropsy to find out the cause. Sometimes a strain of coccidia can be resistant to Corid, and it may require a sulfa antibiotic or Toltrazuril.

Unfortunately I can't afford 200 + cold ship, which is what I was quoted the last time I called. I'll figure it out.

Unfortunately I can't afford 200 + cold ship, which is what I was quoted the last time I called. I'll figure it out.
Have you ever dewormed them? After proper Corid treatment a deworming can help.

I found my chicks to be far more resistant to coccidia when dewormed at about 6-8 weeks of age.

Have you ever dewormed them? After proper Corid treatment a deworming can help.

I found my chicks to be far more resistant to coccidia when dewormed at about 6-8 weeks of age.
Just this first attempt with the ivermectin. As depleted as she is I might never know. It'll probably be a long recovery either way, and no way to tell what eventually worked. I'm watching the other SS carefully, though. Canary in the coal mine, maybe.

Back
Top Bottom