Was the killer a racoon?

You guys seem to have experience with catching racoons. I put the trap inside the coop. Do you think I should put it outside somewhere instead or is there a good chance the racoon will return to the scene of the crime?
I put mine in the yard at the closest point to the woods/trees. I don't want any kind of attractant near the coop. I also stake the trap to the ground. I've had them shake the bait out of the trap. Cheap canned cat food works well. Also caught skunks that way.

I put mine in the yard at the closest point to the woods/trees. I don't want any kind of attractant near the coop. I also stake the trap to the ground. I've had them shake the bait out of the trap. Cheap canned cat food works well. Also caught skunks that way.
Thank you! Good point about not attracting them to the coop. I am not going to put any birds in it again for awhile, so I'll try right outside the door for a bit, since I don't know where the coons could have come from. My neighbors yard is one side and a horse field behind my goat yard. There isnt really any woods nearby this coop

We've had some coons able to get their way out of those traps. Staking it down also makes it MUCH harder for them to do that.

I will set a trap anywhere I know the raccoons have been. Never had a loss inside our actual coop because once the pop door shuts, it's predator proof.
As long as you use bait that smells good enough, I don't think it matters too much where you put the trap. I used some leftover chicken wing tips one night and chicken feet another night.

I will set a trap anywhere I know the raccoons have been. Never had a loss inside our actual coop because once the pop door shuts, it's predator proof.
As long as you use bait that smells good enough, I don't think it matters too much where you put the trap. I used some leftover chicken wing tips one night and chicken feet another night.
Thanks! We are at 3 nights now without a catch. But it's been very cold (3 degrees last night), so anything I put out is freezing and maybe not smelling as exciting. I am going to keep the trap going for a few weeks. I am really hoping to catch that stinker.

I am going to tan it's hide and stake out the head to mark my territory 🤣

Thanks! We are at 3 nights now without a catch. But it's been very cold (3 degrees last night), so anything I put out is freezing and maybe not smelling as exciting. I am going to keep the trap going for a few weeks. I am really hoping to catch that stinker.

I am going to tan it's hide and stake out the head to mark my territory 🤣
We are going into a warming trend. Not sure what state your in. When real cold coon den up, just like bears. racoon are not true hibernators, but after a point when the temperature drops coon can go inactive and sleep prolonged periods of time and live from stored fat. Actually it is a dormancy state called torpor.
As mentioned by someone else I put my traps away from where I keep my chickens, no use drawing more predators to your chickens. The racoon will find the traps and bait.
I use 1 1/2 leg traps when needed than shoot them in head.
Racoon will travel in family packs, not always, but very common.
Last year I had some trouble makers. Lost about 30 chickens 1 night. I trapped about 5 or 6..dont remember. Everything settled down.

Get a game camera. No doubt your trouble makers will be back, they know where chicken dinner is now. From your description I think your dealing with a family pack. 3 chickens gone.

Sorry for your loss, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom