Was the killer a racoon?

Thats what my husband thinks. I wanted to see what you all thought. Last night 9 out of 10 chickens were killed or missing. My coop is an old well house and the chickens sleep on a roost bar over 6 feet high. I found the lone survivor still on the roost bar this morning.
I found 3 bodies on the floor of the coop. And 2 more bodies out in the yard far from the coop. 3 chickens are M.I.A.

It looks like the two in the yard were killed where they lay - so they must have took off into the night running and were hunted down. They were both tore open, heads missing and chest/crop eaten.

The 3 in the coop were untouched besides puncture wounds on their throats and 3 DEEP scratches (like a paw with 3 claws) on their breast tissue.

Would a raccoon kill everything in sight, carry off 3 chickens, and hunt down 2 more in the yard?

PS. I set a trap for tonight using one of the bodies in hopes the killer returns and I can capture it.
Use marshmallows and or hot dogs. Sardines also work great for Coons.

Thank you! Luckily it wasnt all my chickens. This was my "retirement" coop, all chickens over 2 year. But I wanted them to live out their days, not get killed by some crappy racoon. Also my favorite rooster Kyle was killed. He will be missed 😔
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs I hope you catch that felonious raccoon.

I still haven't caught them. I am thinking of moving my trap. I am also thinking it might have been a dog or something that can't get into a fenced area.

I have a fence surrounding the coop, on the night of the attack I had the gate open. But since I have set the trap (inside the fenced area next to the coop), I have had to close the gate to keep the goats from playing with the trap. I am wondering if the attacker can't come back because it can't get over the fence. In that case, it's not a raccoon.

But it leaves me with the question of how would a dog have knocked the chickens from the 6ft high roost? Also a dog wouldn't have paws small enough to leave 3 deep scratches on their breast meat. And the bite wounds were kind of small.

... Sorry I am kinda just typing my thoughts

I am also pissed because I actually have a few chickens I need to move into this coop (sooner than expected) and I don't feel safe doing so until the killer is caught.

I have a hav-a-heart trap out there now. I am checking when the sun comes up. If a raccoon is in there, my husband is gonna put it down.
What about relocating the coon since you will already have it in a love cage? That’s what we do. I dislike them as much as you for the sake of my ducks but they do have a right to live just like everything else. Just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️

What about relocating the coon since you will already have it in a love cage? That’s what we do. I dislike them as much as you for the sake of my ducks but they do have a right to live just like everything else. Just my opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Relocating is illegal in some areas because of how they just become somebody else's problem. And once they are trap wary, they will never be caught again.

Exactly what Bigtom said. The one who killed my chickens could have been a relocate from someone else. I still haven't caught it. But if I do, my husband will quickly/humanely put it down.

But I agree with a right to live. I wouldn't just trap and kill coons for the fun of it. I don't agree with killing anything unless it's for a purpose or the safety of your livestock/property.

Exactly what Bigtom said. The one who killed my chickens could have been a relocate from someone else. I still haven't caught it. But if I do, my husband will quickly/humanely put it down.

But I agree with a right to live. I wouldn't just trap and kill coons for the fun of it. I don't agree with killing anything unless it's for a purpose or the safety of your livestock/property.
I get what you’re saying. I have the option to relocate to wilderness as close to or as far from my house (or anyone else’s) as I want therefore my situation appears to be different than yours. 😎

Back
Top Bottom