Was the position wrong when I candled?

chicksgalore

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
I have 26 eggs in the bator and I candled maybe 10 on Day 8. One was clear and obviously infertile. All the others looked the same. They had a dark mass on one side--however, I read that the chick should be forming in the large end of the egg. When I candled, I held the egg up and down rather than on its side and the mass was filling about one third of the egg (up and down). Any input on this?

I'd like to know the answer to this too, that is exactly what I see in all my eggs, but I was only at day 4 when I candled, So i'm figuring it's just to early to tell yet. Except for the one small white egg I had (all the rest are brown and chocolate), it had a tiny blob with veining, YAY! But for the brown eggs, I just see a dark mass the fills the rounded end, about 1/4 - 1/3 of the egg.

I guess I'm just going to have to be patiant.

That's what they should look like at this point. There will be a blob in the growing eggs usually at the top of the eggs big end. Are you turning egg or are the in a turner? If you are hand turning the blob tends to be on one side, the side that is currently up.

Quote:
Whew, that makes me happy! Yes I have the Auto turner, so I guess I'm doing good. Now at this point the only way I'd know if one wasn't developing at all is if there is no mass at all right?

I am hand-turning so that would make sense buckeye lady. Great! I'm probably going to candle again on Day 14.

Also, isn't it harder to see the veins in brown or dark-colored eggs?

Kelseygirl, I also have 1 small white one and the others are brown.

Light brown eggs candle pretty well. What are you candling with? I use my hand and a mini-mag lite. I have been able to candle even my Maran eggs with this method. I have not been able to candle EE eggs. You can candle everyday if you like for the first 18 days.

I have a big flashlight. I tried using my hand but that seemed to shadow the egg too much. So I cut the top out of a pop can and a hole from the bottom where I set the egg (can turned upside down of course).

I'm excited to do it again--maybe tonight. There was at least one clear one I saw the other night so I'm going to take it out when I find it again. Today's Day 11.

Yesterday when I did one of my checks, the temp had hit 103.5 again.
barnie.gif
Again, I hope this wasn't for long enough...I had dreams about this last night though that all the chicks were dead.

Last edited:
Quote:
I have wondered about the EE's. I have some in the bator as I type this and tried to candle 2 last nite since they were on day 10, and could really not see hardly anything. I cut a hole in a box and use a jumbo mag light. I could barely tell there was a blob, that was all I could see. It was one of the light blue eggs, I didn't even try the olive green ones. Are all EE's this hard to see, and why?

Back
Top Bottom