Was told these were Buff Orpington when I bought them...thoughts?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Articscoobie, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Articscoobie

Articscoobie New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    Hello all,
    My first post, and glad to have found this site. I suspect I will really need help as these chicks I have currently grow up. I bought 5 chicks from a local individual and was told that I was purchasing 2 cuckoo maran, and 3 buff orpington chicks. Am really curious to see what everyone things of the buff orpington. The first black one....cockoo maran?? Pullet?? The second speckled one appears to be, Am I guessing right...cockerel? What is the white one? I will post the photos and identifiers. Hope someone can help. Any comments on thoughts of pullet vs. cockerel would be appreciated also. These chicks are all 4 weeks old.
    Cheers!
    Steve

[​IMG]
    Photo 1: What are these? White one a pullet, other 2 cockerels??

[​IMG]
    Photo 2: Breed? Are these really Buff Orpingtons?

[​IMG]
    Photo 3: Both Cockerels? Both Pullets? Or one of each?? they are 4 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    Photo 4: What is this? It is supposed to be a Cuckoo Maran. Pullet or Cockerel??

[​IMG]
    The mate of Photo 4. Black Cuckoo maran? Pullet or Cockerel??

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  2. Ivy061

Ivy061 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2010
    Sulphur, LA
    Those are not buff orphingtons! I can't really tell in the picture but does the first white one have black on it's neck?
    If so it could be a Delaware or a Columbian color. The first white one is definitely a pullet. #4 is a pullet.
    And I think the last is a roo.

3. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    [​IMG]
    I do not believe those to be Buff Orpingtons..sorry...This is one of my BO when he was 5 weeks old...whatever kind you have...they are pretty!

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Some mutts, mainly. Yes, a roo or two, or three as well. It's a mystery why back yard breeders, selling mutts, would claim they are anything.
    The black one might be australorp mix.
    The one supposed to be cuckoo marans is really cute.

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Definitely no Buff Orps there.

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Not sure about the breeds of the white one, and black and white ones. The white one looks to be a pullet. The first black one is a black australorp pullet, and the last one is a cuckoo maran roo.

7. Articscoobie

Articscoobie New Egg

Apr 11, 2011
    Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback! I definitely can tell by the picture post that none of these match up. Funny....I got these from a backyard breeder, and we were hoping on at least one Buff Orpington Pullet and One Black Cuckoo Maran Pullet. No worries,...I was able to hatch 7/10 black copper maran chicks and we are hoping for a few pullets from this batch. It was my first go at it, and I was not expecting 50%. Beginner's luck! I will likely be needing some help differentiating pullet from cockerel Easter Eggers, and roos from Pullets with the black copper maran shortly. I love this site!!

8. MoriahQuilts

MoriahQuilts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    UT
    The white speckled ones look like a Golden Cuckoo Marans that I just got from a breeder, but I'm new at this and don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by