Was told these were Buff Orpington when I bought them...thoughts?

Articscoobie

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Hello all,
My first post, and glad to have found this site. I suspect I will really need help as these chicks I have currently grow up. I bought 5 chicks from a local individual and was told that I was purchasing 2 cuckoo maran, and 3 buff orpington chicks. Am really curious to see what everyone things of the buff orpington. The first black one....cockoo maran?? Pullet?? The second speckled one appears to be, Am I guessing right...cockerel? What is the white one? I will post the photos and identifiers. Hope someone can help. Any comments on thoughts of pullet vs. cockerel would be appreciated also. These chicks are all 4 weeks old.
Cheers!
Steve

86087_img_0592.jpg

Photo 1: What are these? White one a pullet, other 2 cockerels??

86087_img_0591.jpg

Photo 2: Breed? Are these really Buff Orpingtons?

86087_img_0592.jpg

Photo 3: Both Cockerels? Both Pullets? Or one of each?? they are 4 weeks old.

86087_img_0597.jpg

Photo 4: What is this? It is supposed to be a Cuckoo Maran. Pullet or Cockerel??

86087_img_0598.jpg

The mate of Photo 4. Black Cuckoo maran? Pullet or Cockerel??

Last edited:
Those are not buff orphingtons! I can't really tell in the picture but does the first white one have black on it's neck?
If so it could be a Delaware or a Columbian color. The first white one is definitely a pullet. #4 is a pullet.
And I think the last is a roo.

Not sure about the breeds of the white one, and black and white ones. The white one looks to be a pullet. The first black one is a black australorp pullet, and the last one is a cuckoo maran roo.

Thank you all, I appreciate the feedback! I definitely can tell by the picture post that none of these match up. Funny....I got these from a backyard breeder, and we were hoping on at least one Buff Orpington Pullet and One Black Cuckoo Maran Pullet. No worries,...I was able to hatch 7/10 black copper maran chicks and we are hoping for a few pullets from this batch. It was my first go at it, and I was not expecting 50%. Beginner's luck! I will likely be needing some help differentiating pullet from cockerel Easter Eggers, and roos from Pullets with the black copper maran shortly. I love this site!!

The white speckled ones look like a Golden Cuckoo Marans that I just got from a breeder, but I'm new at this and don't know.

Back
Top Bottom