Wash eggs or not?

thanks for the info everyone. the egg article was interesting. i think the solution might be not to worry about it to much or wash em just before using. i haven't really noticed a messy egg yet. my wife, the chicken supervisor, was curious as to the storage of eggs and how long they keep. i will have her read that article.

Another no washer unless I'm going to hard boil them - then I scrub them up with some soap and in the pot they go.

There rarely is anything on them, usually just a piece of sawdust or something.

I live in South Carolina, we have had a lot of rain and my eggs get dirty. I wash mine in warm water and use my fingers to remove the mud and poop. Then dry them and put them in the frig. I don't like to leave mine set with stuff on them and then wash them before I use them. Because like everyone says the egg shell is porous and if you leave poop and mud on them it is bound to get in. Just my thoughts

I always wash mine off with a damp paper towel, I did not know about the warm/hot vs cold water, i will be using warm/hot from now on. But i guess it sounds like maybe it is not necessary to wash them

Perhaps I am just lucky
smile.png
. We live close to a saw mill where I can get wood shavings, from their wood shapers and or saw dust, the shavings work great and smell good too
thumbsup.gif
. I have it in huge plastic woven bags so it drys real well. I have it about 8" deep on the earth floor for litter. Every morning when I let the girls out, I feed and water them and party clean out my nest boxes and add lots more wood shavings. The girls lay all their eggs by noon
D.gif
so before lunch the eggs are gathered and what little shavings stuck on are brushed off, they're nice and clean. Oh yeah, here in the tropics we get a lot of rain but I guess the wood shavings clean their feet and don't get the eggs dirty
clap.gif
. I understand that if you wash them you can coat them with mineral oil for better preservation as some commercial producers do. Our eggs don't last that long, the only ones that last a month are the ones saved to make pickled hard boiled eggs. Yummy!
droolin.gif

HTH

Art

Oooooo....pickled eggs! I forgot about those! I don't like 'em, but my dad does....yet another use for these things! I can use up my little pullet eggs for this!

YAY!

Back
Top Bottom