Washing Broilers for 4-H show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by riftnreef, Jul 18, 2011.

1. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    Kids will be moving into the fair this coming Friday, and it's wash time I think. Will be taking two pens of three, and I wanted to give the birds a "pre-wash" early this week, followed by a thurough cleaning Thursday night. I have the basics, but have never washed broilers before...any useful tips/tricks/suggestions, especially for keeping them clean in the periods between would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    My suggestion would be to put them on a wired cage after you baithe it worked for my silkies dont see why not for a broiler.

3. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    wow...not sure I have a wire cage strong enough to hold them...lol Between the 6 total birds it would be around 42lbs! I think your right though...I will have to get them out of the bedding...at least for the last washing.

4. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    42 pounds ouch HEAVY Um if you look craigslist theres ually always a nice metel cage for free under the free section or a prrot cage get one of those and put them in it after there last was.

5. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
  6. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    Well if they are so big then put them in a clean pen with LOTS of fresh dry shavings. Change the pen at least once a day and that should keep the dirt to a minimum. Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Bnemeth

Bnemeth Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Broilers are messy chickens! We always washed ours before fair, the day of show and also the sale day (buyers will pay more for a clean bird!). Wash like normal chickens but don't let them flap their wings - they can easily hit the side of a bucket and bruise them for show. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by