washing eggs with eggs on them

yogamebird

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
My husband was carrying 5 eggs - tripped and and 2 broke and the raw egg got all over the remaining 3 eggs. I was hesitant to wash them. (I'm trying to find the thread on washing eggs and am not having luck.) This morning I rinsed one and ate it. I am concerned since raw egg is organic matter it could be teeming with bacteria. Should I wash the other two eggs? After washing need I refrigerate them?

I would assume anything that could've gotten inside the eggs already did. I'd just toss them if you don't feel safe about eating. Eggs are cheap. Food poisoning isn't cheap. :)

I wash my eggs with a brush 20170217_014730.jpg under very warm water in the evening and let them dry overnight and refrigerate in the morning. GC

Attachments

• 20170217_014656.jpg
    20170217_014656.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 2
'Wash' it immediately with water warmer than the eggs, let dry, then refrigerate....should be fine.

I just use my hands to 'scrub' ....contacting the entire surface of eggs.
Air dry for an hour, then a towel, and in the fridge.

OK... The egg accident happened yesterday. I rinsed an egg this morning and ate it. I threw away one of the eggs that was shiny with dried egg white. A new fresh egg lightly touched the egg with the dried egg white. I don't want to be too neurotic about all this... I guess my main question is... How absorbent or penetratable are the shells?

Thanks to all of you for responding!

The eggs have a protective coating to prevent bacteria from penetrating. Wash soiled eggs when you collect. I wash with very warm water and a scrub brush. If eggs are clean when you collect them you don't have to wash till you use them. I wash all my eggs even if they are clean, because my customers want washed eggs. GC

The eggs have a protective coating to prevent bacteria from penetrating. Wash soiled eggs when you collect. I wash with very warm water and a scrub brush. If eggs are clean when you collect them you don't have to wash till you use them. I wash all my eggs even if they are clean, because my customers want washed eggs. GC

After you wash eggs do you refrigerate?

Back
Top Bottom