Washing eggs?

In my area I can sell whatever I want off of my own land without needing to be licensed, inspected or taxed. I'm selling them for $2 a dozen. I'm not going to get rich of them so the local government doesn't care.

Last edited:
Quote:
I muddled my point. If you are selling from your farm to customers who pull into your driveway, you do not need licensing (in Washington) and I assume every state. If you read WSDA laws compared with ODA (Oregon) they are carbon copies really. They probably are all directives from the USDA.

Secondly, I sell at a farmer's market and directly to a local grocery store. Once you sell off your premises things rapidly become complicated. Follow the letter of the law and be insured!

I agree with Frank that it's important to read the law. One thing you will find very quickly is that there are exemptions for activities from your own farm, house or roadside stand. Just as soon as you start taking eggs to work with you to sell to co-workers, you are no longer falling under any exemptions.

Secondly, in case there are ever food related illness associated with your eggs, even allegedly, you will probably get to sit through a nice deposition from an attorney. The issue will come down to were you dilligent in protecting your customers health? I say wash your eggs, using an egg cleaner and USDA approved sanitizer. It's cheap cheap cheap insurance.

Last edited:
"...Once you sell off your premises things rapidly become complicated...."

Quite right! One thing that sometimes catches people off guard is LABELING laws regarding eggs.

Usually, to sell to a retailer, the eggs will need to be in (new) cartons, with your name &/or address, the size of the eggs, nutritional info, etc. I would think that would be the retailer's responsibility - though I'm not sure.

EggCartons.com has cartons with all the usual info.

A cheap way to add your name/address if you're not going through too many cartons is to use those free address labels that you get from Arbor Day, Amnesty International etc.

The advice about liability is good too. When a doctor finds a case of food sickness, it gets reported to the department of health, and a list of all the foods they can remember eating recently is compiled. Good practices and record keeping can help eliminate you from consideration early (or shield you if it did somehow come from your farm).

If you get very big at all, a talk with an insurance agent is in order. A few bucks a month against the unlikely possibility losing the farm is usually a good deal. But each situation is different, so only you can truely weigh the risk vs cost and make that decision.

-Frank

ps: Thanks for the kudos, CT!

Back
Top Bottom