washing eggs

Hi ! I had started this post, and just want to clarify something. I do keep my nest boxes clean, but my "girls" go out into the run, which can get muddy from rain and snow;)
However, they just get muddy when it's wet, nothing more, like poo, etc.
sickbyc.gif

Thanks for all the info. I guess I was doing it right
idunno.gif
I do use just a damp paper towel to gently clean them, unless they are REALLY dirty, then I wash the egg with running water. After washing, though, I use a film of cooking oil on it to replace the "bloom" that I had taken off. I had read somewhere that this helps keep them fresh.

Jen

Interesting question with as many interesting answers. I usually rinse all my eggs after I collect them and dry them before putting them into the fridge. I found that rinsing my eggs in cool water when they are messy at least satisfied my need for cleanliness. The eggs that are really soiled get scrubbed and used ASAP. A clean coop with lots of wood chips helps, but mud and other materials are still bound to attach themselves to an egg on occasion. I don't think scrubbing them would be good for long term storage, but after many internet searches and lots of book recommendations, I believe that at least a rinse is safe. I would be curious if anyone has any ideas on longer term egg storage ideas and thoughts. I would like to be able to store eggs several weeks to months without refrigeration if possible without making anyone sick. That would sure help in the winter as my hens slow down on their egg laying. Seems there are just as many ideas and questions on longer term storage as there is on washing eggs.

I try to keep my eggs dry when I clean them I take a rag or paper towel and wipe off anything I can and for places that the rag will not remove I use one of those green pot scrubbing pads and it removes the rest with ease kind of sands off the spot. Then I wash out the pad in anti- bacterial soap and let it dry to use the next day.

My grandmother raised chickens and sold the eggs for years and the only time we washed the eggs was when she was about to sell them. She normally just put them in the cartons dirty and stored them in the egg fridge. When we did wash them it was with a damp cloth or paper towel. My Granny said if you washed a fresh layed egg it would go bad faster. My personal preference and since I don't sell any of my egg, I only wipe them off with a damp paper towel when needed. It seems the eggs are only dirty when it has been raining and the hens have muddy feet. The eggs I give to my mother are not washed either and I told them they need the rule we have in our house, wash if you want but dirt never hurt. My father and dh would hang me out to dry if I told them I fed an egg to our dogs because it was dirty. My dogs do get the soft or cracked eggs but they are few and far between now!

I do not wash my eggs, except during mud season or when they are for someone else and than only if really needed. I was taught to never use soap and to use only water that is warmer than the egg. If they are real dirty, I use a facecloth while running under tap water, (water is warmer than egg) let dry on a towel on the counter. Any debris comes right off, most of the time I don't need to use the facecloth. With warm water and my hands, they come out nice and clean.

I give a quick rinse in body temp running water when I'm about to use them. unless they have
sickbyc.gif
on them then I damp paper towel them and refrig them. Sorry I don't like the thought of what was on them. I don't eat the shell however I did touch the shell. Just like a bannana, orange.......... I don't eat there shells either but I wash them off.

Again folks, I hate to sound like a broken record, but if you are going to wash eggs it's important to wash them in water at least 20 degrees warmer than the egg itself.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom