Washing eggs

99% of the incubated eggs in this country are indeed washed. The hatcheries incubate millions of chicks a year, as their business, and wash them. There are those who incubate at home and do not do so. So, what to think?

Here's what I think. If the eggs are spotlessly clean, I might not bother. However, an incubator is not only incubating the inside of the eggs, but also all the bacteria and other stuff breeding on the shells. Many folks say the hatch rates actually go up if they wash them and perhaps this is why.

I'd say try a hatch with and a hatch without and compare your results.

Fred's Hens :

99% of the incubated eggs in this country are indeed washed. The hatcheries incubate millions of chicks a year, as their business, and wash them. There are those who incubate at home and do not do so. So, what to think?

Here's what I think. If the eggs are spotlessly clean, I might not bother. However, an incubator is not only incubating the inside of the eggs, but also all the bacteria and other stuff breeding on the shells. Many folks say the hatch rates actually go up if they wash them and perhaps this is why.

I'd say try a hatch with and a hatch without and compare your results.

The way I look at this, does a broody hen wash her eggs before she sits on them
big_smile.png

Kinda what I was thinking too, a broody hen doesn't so I am not going to either. Maybe next time I will try and wash and see if there really is a difference.
big_smile.png

Isn't is funny how we always look to see how the animals do it? While I too think that is sound reasoning, you also have to take into account there is NOTHING natural about us incubating eggs. So while yes, a hen doesn't wash her eggs, she also doesn't keep a steady 99.5 temp, uniform rolling of the eggs or even steady humidity as she gets up to eat, moves to preen or even stands up to readjust.

So, to wash or not is definitely an individual choice. I just think it's funny that we try to mimic nature while being completely unnatural!

(If you're a horse owner then you know...wild horses don't get their teeth floated nor their hooves trimmed. Because we've put horses in a very unnatural setting (stalls, fences, rich abundant hay and concentrates like oats) we can't expect them to maintain themselves like wild horses do.)

Okay so here's the next question, I'm on day 2 with six eggs and day 6 with ten eggs, would it be bad to try and wash them now? And how do you go about washing them, just in case I try with the next batch?

Back
Top Bottom