washing eggs???

just wash them before you use them. I guess it really depends on how dirty they are. Are they crusted in poo or dirt? just brush it off, dont wash and let the dirt/poo soak into the permeable shell and then leave it in the carton for later, to breed bacteria.

Unless they are really soiled I wouldn't wash them until you are ready to use them. Then you can use dish soap and warm water. Washing removes the protective outter coating that helps keep them fresh!
smile.png

Thanks so much. I was just thinking the same but didn't quite know what I could use to was them for sure. Or if I should wash them before storing them, but now I know.

I usually just give the dirty ones a rinse in warm water (I was told that cold water could draw bacteria into the shell). But apparently dry cleaning it is better. From what I have read, there are a few different methods for washing, and once I get to the point of selling our eggs, I'm going to have to practice one of them.

When our friend used to give us his eggs and they had poop on them, I used to wash them with a paper towel dipped in dish soap and water and pat them dry.

Here is a past thread about washing.

I wash mine and coat them with olive oil rubbing it in and then put them in a carton. The reason I do it is because I want to ensure they are clean and because of food borne illness and disease. I know there's alot of people that say they don't get sick but I am certified as a food manager and one thing you don't want coming in contact with any surfaces is feces. Whether it looks clean to the eye or not, it can still have bacteria that can get on to other things like your egg cartons, your utensils, your dishes, or hands without you realizing it and could make you sick. I coat it to mimick the natural coating and when I reach in to use it its already clean.

Quote:
This is true. If you do wash them be sure to refridgerate them as they don't keep as long. If I don't wash mine, I keep them out for a couple of weeks before I refridgerate them, but they don't usually last that long. yum yum!!!
jumpy.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom