Washing Hen, Molting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nancypo, May 25, 2011.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I bought a hen yesterday, and she's molting (maybe) or been pecked at some. The thing is she's pretty dirty. She's a barred rock and most the her white feathers look dirty. I have washed butts before, but should I wait til more feathers grow in or does it matter? It's going to rain soon, so I'm letting it go. This girl needs a makeover, poor thing!!! And are there any special foods that will help her feathers grow in faster?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Nope, her feathers wont re-grow until she is done molting.

You can give her some high protien foods (eggs, yogurt, a little meat, cat food) to give her a boost when she is ready.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Growing feathers requires protein, so some extra protein might help. No bugs on her? It's nice you purchased a homely one and are helping to restore her to her former glory.

4. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks for the ideas! She was on a farm, and pretty dirty... But hold off on the washing?

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Definately wash, but blow dry for dignity.

6. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Quote:I love this quote! Even a hen needs a little bit of vanity... [​IMG]

7. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Ha! But it won't stress her and mkae more feathers fall out? The weather has been pretty chiily and I don't want a naked chicken [​IMG]

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Dont SCRUB her. Blowdry on low is fine. They usually fall asleep with the warmth.

9. mallorysinclair

mallorysinclair Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I brought home a filthy chicken today and promptly gave her a warm, gentle bath (shampoo, vinegar and water rinse, plain water rinse). She was just about falling asleep in the warm water. Then she got a gentle blow dry, and she *did* fall asleep. And she looked much better afterward.

10. nancypo

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Ah, that's cute. Great idea about the vinegar too, might cut the odor! She smells... She calming down, will wait til it's a bit warmer in a day or two. Thanks for the ideas!!! I have washed bums before, but never a whole hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by