Washing Hen, Molting?

nancypo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
I bought a hen yesterday, and she's molting (maybe) or been pecked at some. The thing is she's pretty dirty. She's a barred rock and most the her white feathers look dirty. I have washed butts before, but should I wait til more feathers grow in or does it matter? It's going to rain soon, so I'm letting it go. This girl needs a makeover, poor thing!!! And are there any special foods that will help her feathers grow in faster?

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Nope, her feathers wont re-grow until she is done molting.

You can give her some high protien foods (eggs, yogurt, a little meat, cat food) to give her a boost when she is ready.

Yay Chicks!

Songster
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Forest Grove, OR
Growing feathers requires protein, so some extra protein might help. No bugs on her? It's nice you purchased a homely one and are helping to restore her to her former glory.

nancypo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
Ha! But it won't stress her and mkae more feathers fall out? The weather has been pretty chiily and I don't want a naked chicken

LarryPQ

Easter Hatch!!
10 Years
Jul 17, 2009
Dont SCRUB her. Blowdry on low is fine. They usually fall asleep with the warmth.

mallorysinclair

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
I brought home a filthy chicken today and promptly gave her a warm, gentle bath (shampoo, vinegar and water rinse, plain water rinse). She was just about falling asleep in the warm water. Then she got a gentle blow dry, and she *did* fall asleep. And she looked much better afterward.

nancypo

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Boise
My Coop
Ah, that's cute. Great idea about the vinegar too, might cut the odor! She smells... She calming down, will wait til it's a bit warmer in a day or two. Thanks for the ideas!!! I have washed bums before, but never a whole hen!

Top Bottom