Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Nifty-Chicken, Oct 19, 2012.

1. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Weird thing... I went out there will my armload of towels, brushes, vinegar, etc., etc. and the Shop Vac. There was absolutely NO ODOR of any kind and not even a tiny bit of dampness. When I touched it, it almost evaporated. No odor on my hand either! So I vacuumed it really well then brushed it thoroughly with white vinegar. I have the heater/fan running to dry that, too. I can't find any dampness anywhere in the area. So I don't know what it is/was, but it's not the big problem I thought it would be. I think I'll use some DE when it's all dry, just to be on the safe side. I think I dodged a bullet today, and hope I'm not missing something that's going to come back to bite me! [​IMG]

Thanks for the info. on lifting a carpet and using the putty knife. That would work in the house, but the trailer doesn't have molding along the edge.

Yeah.... that's worta what happened to me too! But you could do what SadieSue is doing... just raise them for a while and then sell most of them! [​IMG]

2. SadieSue

SadieSue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Just returned from checking on my hatching eggs in the Silkie coop. It appears Pearlie June is one lonely girl since both of her buddies are setting on eggs. She started yakking at me as soon as I got down there. She's the only Silkie in the run while the broodys are setting in the coop.

When I checked, it appeared one of the blue eggs had kind of slipped out from underneath Priscilla. It was still warm, but cooling off. I'm second guessing myself. Did I give them too many eggs since they're first time broodys? I'm wondering if I should relieve them of a couple of their eggs and pop them in the incubator myself. Then when the chicks hatch I'd give those couple back to the Silkies to raise.

Any opinions on this? I'm being too much of a worry wart? I've had a broody hatch before, but this is my first Silkie broody hatching experience. And now that I've brought those eggs home I want them ALL to hatch!

3. VelvettFog

VelvettFog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    I have this idea...

I have in storage two dollhouses. One is from a kit, and the other my grandfather built for my sister. Sister now lives in France, and she's told me that there is no way she can see getting those shipped over to her.

So I had this thought that they would look super cute fixed up as a coop for a breeding pair or trio of bantams. Especially Serama's. One of the dollhouses has bay windows :)

Maybe I'll dig them out of the shop storage and take some photos.

If you have Serama's or other really small chooks, you should stay tuned!

Dave

4. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    we kept ours between 45-55% until the last 3 days and then bumped it up to 65%-ish

5. RainMom

RainMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Hobart, WA
    oh- now that I have made an incubator, hatched eggs, etc, etc- NOW I get a broody hen! [​IMG]

I've got a gold laced wyandotte that's been sitting for 3 days. I've moved her off the next 3x- and been pecked- little twirp is stubborn!

I'm thinking we should move her into her own space and just let her have a batch- or even tempted to give her some of the ones we just hatched out.[​IMG] decisions, decisions.....

6. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    VF - You know I love the idea!

Carolyn, The chicks are 3 and 1 weeks, I figured getting some fresh air would help grow some feathers[​IMG]
    There was a kitty that lived in the house before us and I believe she did a great job keeping the pesky birds away, so now our yard is FULL of nightcrawlers. I can't believe how fast a tiny chick can eat one of them buggers!

The coop was going to have some wheels installed on it to make it a tractor, because we are renting, don't want to make any one area "the chicken's" this gives us easy mobility to fresh grass! A hitch would make it a breeze to hook up to the lawnmower and move!

7. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Yes, they came from Pips&Peeps.

The darker headed girl follows me around like a stalker. She also chases the cats and dogs. Neither dog has even noticed her but she thinks she makes them move.

8. ChickAudie

ChickAudie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    I am SOOOO excited! DH (well...technically fiance) have been together for 10 years and have FINALLY picked a date to say our "I do's"!! June 15th is going to be our big day! I have to admit, I wasn't very excited to have a wedding, but now I am looking at everything, I am going to LOVE putting this together [​IMG].....now, how to incorporate chickens into a wedding?? ring-bearers? LOL!

Our colors are going to be black, white and silver and have a bit of a Moroccan touch (with Thai food, ohhahaha!)

9. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    I love posts like this. Congratulations. You have decided the trial period is over. Mine was 3 yrs before we made it official. That was almost 40 yrs ago. You could have a rooster in the background ready to crow when the minister says you may now kiss the bride. Let that Rooster crow then. LOL

10. LaughingFeather

LaughingFeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Kitsap, Washington
    Another idea: You could put the rings inside hollowed eggs and when you exchange rings you would have to crack the egg first. Or the ring boy could bring it in a bowl of eggs. Being silly. One of my best traits.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by