Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Jean from Pips&Peeps even tried to tempt me with a fresh goose egg laid by her Sebastopol (sp?) hen there at the show. I was thinking how much fun it could be to put that in the incubator. Insane. I have no need nor room for a goose, but they sure are pretty!
I saw a lady with short black hair in a blue coat out the door with a large bulge in her shopping bag. Looked suspiciously like a EGG ! !! !
ep.gif

I don't wanna mention any names but the initials are BLUEDUCKLINGS ???

three things....

1. I am looking for 6 to 8 dozzen hatching eggs that are low priced, larger breed egg layers type. if you have a lead on this let me know.

2. I talked to a couple people at the show yesterday and there does seem to be some interest in doing a couple of processing classes. I am propossing two events at my place. one would be for culls and roos and the second would be for meat birds. I have a great processing set up and a lot of expierence. It would be open to people with or without expierence, and low pressure. If it is just too hard for some they don't have to do or even watch.

The cull and roo day could be any time. A meat bird day I would order in chicks for everyone who wanted to participate (I have a wholesale account with welp) so we could start a thread on how raising them is going and they should all be ready to butcher at the same time.

3. for anyone that I missed yesterday or just could not make it I am changing it from a show special to just a byc first time purchase special. first bucket half price for any byc poster. yall are great and worth it.

paul

Last edited:
Hey CR, got your PM. Yep I had every intention of being in Monroe yesterday, however I also have maintenance here and I'm also putting in a garden this year. Anyway, I was rototilling the yard Friday, where I am putting the garden, when the dang thing stopped working. Of course this was in the afternoon about 3:30. If I hadn't had this problem, I would have completed the task and called it a day. But, by the time I got it back to the shop and took off the belt shroud and found that it had twisted and was useless and by that time I had no time left to go chase a belt.
(I found out replacement belt for this tiller is $46.00, a Cub Cadet with a 195 cc engine) So I found a replacement belt (23.00) and installed it and adjusted the clutch linkage, etc. All of this happened Sat AM and left me no time to come to the show. (Also no energy either) Then it rained of course so I lost not only coming to the show and meeting everyone, I also lost the day because of a stupid belt.
This machine does not have 15 hrs on it and of course their crappy 2 year limited warranty is just that. You would think for $800.00 a tiller would last more then 15 hrs b4 going on the fritz. Such is life.
So here I am
caf.gif
taking a break from cleaning, laundry, etc. In a little while I will get my butt in gear and get my tilling done (if the dang machine cooperates), fininsh my laundry, put the corned beef and cabbage on for dinner and hopefully enjoy the company of my Sis when she comes over for dinner.
OK, that was my rant.
Really, really missed meeting everyone. AGAIN. This is the second Monroe show I have missed. Please, everybody, post some pics.
Sorry to hear about yer tiller Mike. But see IF ya woulda come to the show...... it didn't rain in the building the entire time I was there.

Quote: Keep in mind that the Favs (or any other breed) that you get from a hatchery may or may not produce the same as the stock you would get from a breeder. And very slim chance they will breed true to the breed! Just for what it's worth.

If one just wants eggs from birds that resemble a certain breed hatchery birds are fine. YES I have hatchery mutts. They are my LF layer flock.

Hi All!

I'm in a rush again today but wanted to say how much I enjoyed meeting everyone for the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd time. The food was great, thank you all for taking the time to make it and bring it!

For those that asked, my hen is fine today, I must have just caught her at a bad time on Friday. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Loved seeing the little kids, again they were all so well behaved and fun to be around. Y'all are obviously great parents!

CR, I'll e-mail those pics to you.

Honeysuckle... thanks again for the mint!

There was more I wanted to say as I skimmed some of the posts, but can't remember and have to run, dang. Well have a great Sunday folks, catch you later.

Carolyn

Hey CR, got your PM. Yep I had every intention of being in Monroe yesterday, however I also have maintenance here and I'm also putting in a garden this year. Anyway, I was rototilling the yard Friday, where I am putting the garden, when the dang thing stopped working. Of course this was in the afternoon about 3:30. If I hadn't had this problem, I would have completed the task and called it a day. But, by the time I got it back to the shop and took off the belt shroud and found that it had twisted and was useless and by that time I had no time left to go chase a belt.
(I found out replacement belt for this tiller is $46.00, a Cub Cadet with a 195 cc engine) So I found a replacement belt (23.00) and  installed it and adjusted the  clutch linkage, etc. All of this happened Sat AM and left me no time to come to the show. (Also no energy either)  Then it rained of course so I lost not only coming to the show and meeting everyone, I also lost the day because of a stupid belt.
This machine does not have 15 hrs on it and of course their crappy 2 year limited warranty is just that. You would think for $800.00 a tiller would last more then 15 hrs b4 going on the fritz. Such is life.
So here I am:caf  taking a break from cleaning, laundry, etc. In a little while I will get my butt in gear and get my tilling done (if the dang machine cooperates), fininsh my laundry, put the corned beef and cabbage on for dinner and hopefully enjoy the  company of my Sis when she comes over for dinner.
OK, that was my rant.
Really, really missed meeting everyone. AGAIN. This is the second Monroe show I have missed. Please, everybody, post some pics.

Missed you at the show Buddy! Sucks about your tiller!  I picked a Troy built at the big boy store that begins with "L" had the belt pop off bend up the guard and some sheet metal the first time I used it. Brought it in for a warranty repair that would've took me a half an hour at most took power Shop up here three weeks. When it broke the second time the big L siad they couldn't take it back because I put gas and oil in it. How do you know if it works if you don't put gas and oil in it :he :mad: :rant . I'm shopping for a riding mower and I talked to the guys at J&! and John Deere they told me that the name brand mowers at the Big Boxes aren't built the same to cot down the costs.

The third time the repair took an hour and a half cuz I had to go into town and BUY a belt to fix it myself! :mad:      But you know what?  It hasn't happened again!! Other then the cost of the parts they can keep their warranty and you know what else the L stand for Little as in very LITTLE to none of my business!!!
Enjoy dinner with your SISS.

Walmart gets lower quality stuff made just for them as well. I think all the big stores do.

I have a Husqvarna tiller we got on clearance that is a work horse. It's an older discontinued model but I love it. It goes through our heavy soil without a problem and isn't bothered by the rocks.

Quote: Keep in mind that the Favs (or any other breed) that you get from a hatchery may or may not produce the same as the stock you would get from a breeder. And very slim chance they will breed true to the breed! Just for what it's worth.

If one just wants eggs from birds that resemble a certain breed hatchery birds are fine. YES I have hatchery mutts. They are my LF layer flock.
I would be OK with hatchery (or otherwise) mutts, as I wouldn't be showing them. They would be a "working flock" so to speak, but I've heard good things about them being decent all-purpose birds, and they sure are beautiful! My girls are too young to be showing such large birds.

If my girls were to show, they would need to have some sort of "papers" from a breeder showing they've had their shots, etc, I guess? We've kept it simple so far with hatchery birds by mail order, or getting them from the Farm Store, and we only need a receipt from them. I'd need to look into the requirements for the fair to show birds purchased from a breeder. My oldest starts in Junior 4-H next year, so she might start getting more serious about what birds she shows. For now it is just calm, clean, neatly feathered bantams-- being true to type is less important.

I might also be interested if a breeder had "rejects" that they didn't want breeding. Again, since I won't be showing them, I would just need clean, healthy birds.

We are good for this year, but next year we might be looking for something different.

Yes it has been a bit of long day but so fun and SO worth it when I get to spend time with BYC PEEPS. See we left home about 6:30 this morning and didn't get home until about 12:30
After the show we ended up wandering around Monroe feed with T Hi and her wonderful DD. Then we were invited to go spend some time at RainMom's house. She made a great dinner even if she was mean to me and make me show some of my kitchen grump skills. We had a very nice visit with her and DH.

THANK YOU KIM for getting permission for our gathering and for inviting the grand poobah's for lunch.

THANK YOU Jessica (and any other helpers) for coordinating things.

Thank you to all who supported IRONIMAGERY!

Thank you to SadieSue for the koolaide with fudge on it.

It was nice to see old faces and meet new ones. For those who I missed.... I was the guy in the bright pink hoodie.

Well I am going on the 22 hour mark so I think I will feed the dragon and park the wagon.

Thank goodness you brought your DW here to keep you in line! For all you BYCers that don't know, CR just wasn't aware that we follow "farmer rules" here- i.e. if'n ya wanna eat, ya gotta earn yer keep! I prolly wore his arm out stirring up those cookies!

BTW- we usually charge people 25 cents for a tour of the house that Craigslist built- so CR got off EASY!!
pop.gif

It was lots of fun meeting everyone yesterday! I really enjoyed the show- even though we came later than expected.

Mmy DH now understands what "silkie love" is all about. We've got a trio of the fluff balls in our living room "chick-a-vision" viewer. DH has been playing with them all morning!

Gotta try to put together the portable pens and move some chickens today so we can do all this math- we're nearly.....over run with chickens !

Back
Top Bottom