Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Quote: A very simple answer / solution to this is watch / listen to the chicks. If they are all far away from the light they are too warm IF they are huddled tight under the light they are too cold. IF they are just milling about they are just right.
I am NOT saying this is the best or only way to judge the temp in yer brooder. This IS the way I do it and it works for me. Just FYI

Quote: They can get it at any time. Most older birds fight it off on a daily basis quite well, but if for some reason she got a little stressed or run down, it can start to take over in the gut. Is her poop normal looking? It is something that I do if I have a chicken that is lethargic, standing around, puffed up. It's just where I start.

Her poops are scant firm blackish pieces with lots of urates and water.
I would start with Corid and if she doesn't look better in 24-36 hours, I would worm if you haven't already. Have you looked at the poop page? It has great info, and you can tell a lot about a chickens health from their poo. I will try to find it.

ETA- http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Last edited:
A very simple answer / solution to this is watch / listen to the chicks. If they are all far away from the light they are too warm IF they are huddled tight under the light they are too cold. IF they are just milling about they are just right.
I am NOT saying this is the best or only way to judge the temp in yer brooder. This IS the way I do it and it works for me. Just FYI
That is how I have been doing it too. I do have an actual heat lamp in my coop, but it is about 3 1/2 feet from the ground. I have it over the littles' cage so that they can get under if they need to warm up, and there is enough exposed that the smallest of the bigger chicks can get under if they need to, as well. They don't seem to need it, but it makes me feel better. I have just started turning it off during the day and only using it at night. The littles have just turned 3 weeks, except the little frizzle, who is 2 weeks. She seems to be fine with that set up as well though.

Bummer..don't think I can go to the Vancouver show now.
th.gif

I totally forgot the last batch of babies are hatching out so I won't be able to stay at Portland over night. Got to watch the babies.
The dula is on standby duty.
Can anyone help me bring a goose egg back to the greater Seattle area?
bow.gif

Pips & Peeps has an egg for me at her booth.
jumpy.gif

My last ditch effort in getting a goose introduced to Redmond.
lau.gif

I don't really see a specific time for any of the auctions except that they should be done by 3 pm. There will be sale birds there all day in the sale area on Saturday.

Meet our newest member at Whiski Ranch!!! This little guy snuggled in at momma's breast is Weebitt. He was the only egg that hatched out of about 20. After he hatched, momma decided to abandon her nest. This little guy is about half the size of last years babies so Im going to say that Blondie, my bantam size buff hen laid this egg and this momma hatched it. I have one other hen thats sitting on her nest and if all goes well, she should be hatching her first batch very soon
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom