Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Congraulations. Ive got babys today 7, and 2 more piped, that Mikeyb gave me. I also had 7 born last week Rob gave me. I cant help it, Im a chicky aholic!!!!Ive had the flu, but have got to get pens built soon. My Bf says he will help this weekend. WHHHOOO HOOOO! I also have 16 egg layers, soon. Bard Rocks. 2 roos. I for the banties,,(I have 6 cochins) and 1, for the big ones. Im building several pens, for special breeds. Some large some small, for tiny milli fleurs and blacktail Japanese. Im raising the breeds seperate. Ive had 100% hatch rate with my new incubator. Its foam inside,, plastic on the outside. Im also building a chicken tractor to move any I want to around the yard. I cant wait to see my babies all over the yard. I used to be a breeder for many years. Parrots as well, I had 150 of the big Parrots. I fed the babies from the egg. I use to be known as the Onalaska Bird Lady. Ive missed it very much. I havent done it since 2000. Im so excited my tail wags! Its been too long. I care for my Mom with Alzheimers 24/7 and shes getting up and moving just to see the babies. Its so neat! She is usually sedintary.Im so tickled to do this again!!!!Im making a baby encloser, on the end of my patio,which is my avatar.

Congraulations. Ive got babys today 7, and 2 more piped, that Mikeyb gave me. I also had 7 born last week Rob gave me. I cant help it, Im a chicky aholic!!!!Ive had the flu, but have got to get pens built soon. My Bf says he will help this weekend. WHHHOOO HOOOO! I also have 16 egg layers, soon. Bard Rocks. 2 roos. I for the banties,,(I have 6 cochins) and 1, for the big ones. Im building several pens, for special breeds. Some large some small, for tiny milli fleurs and blacktail Japanese. Im raising the breeds seperate. Ive had 100% hatch rate with my new incubator. Its foam inside,, plastic on the outside. Im also building a chicken tractor to move any I want to around the yard. I cant wait to see my babies all over the yard. I used to be a breeder for many years. Parrots as well, I had 150 of the big Parrots. I fed the babies from the egg. I use to be known as the Onalaska Bird Lady. Ive missed it very much. I havent done it since 2000. Im so excited my tail wags! Its been too long. I care for my Mom with Alzheimers 24/7 and shes getting up and moving just to see the babies. Its so neat! She is usually sedintary.Im so tickled to do this again!!!!Im making a baby encloser, on the end of my patio,which is my avatar.
Welcome back to hatching! This is my first year hatching, and I am totally addicted already. I have to call it quits after this batch (9 eggs go into lockdown tomorrow), because I can't figure out where to put any more chickens, but I would love to establish some breeding flocks one day soon! It is wonderful that your mother takes an interest. I can't imagine the stress and heartbreak you must go through, and any little ray of sunshine is.nice!

So I gave in and gave all the broody silkie hens 8 eggs to share, since they will anyway. EE and wheaten ameraucana hens covered by a wheaten rooster. Hopefully Duke has been doing his job and some will be fertile.

I probably need to put some dye in the vent of the wheaten girl who's in the main pen. The only rooster she likes is her boyfriend she came with, and she's the only hen who likes him. He's been practicing so her eggs may be fertile.

So I have posted a few times but never introduced myself. I'm misty from Bremerton wa. I'm newish to chicken raising and am learning so much from this site. I get up and have my coffee and read on here everyday. I am human mom to 1 SLW, 1 GLW , 2 polish , 5 light brahmas , 1 mutt roo, 3 EE , and 2 khaki Campbells.

I have this cute wild rabbit that like to come hang with the chickens when they are out an about. He/she also like running around and around my tractor coop. It's so dang cute! I will have to get some pictures of it.

Just thought I would share.
big_smile.png
Last few weeks we have had one like that...so cute.
Yesterday Einstein says there is 2, and today, I think we were buzzed round & round by 3 or more...run so fast !
Maybe have to go bunny hunting soon.

They're just really really goofy is all I meant by it. They kill me- one ALWAYS has to have what the other is eating, constantly into things, always playing and scaring the business out of each other.
Kim- really think you need bunny chicken love pictures to share
We had a group of 5 Silver Cuckoo Marans chicks we bought originally, way back in 2003 (I think )
They all had names of course, and one was such a absolute clutch...........when I opened the pen to allow them to free range the yard, we would sit & watch, and all would fly (like lead balloons) and run so happily, except for Cathy..................Cathy crashed everytime...she hit posts supporting the patio roof, she nose-dived and rolled...she never landed right, to her dying day (about 2 years ago)
But she was the best layer.
Never had another goof ball like her.

Ok fantastic! I am currently building a run 24'x8' with a coop attached externally. I intend to roof the entire run. if nothing else to keep the run from turning into a mud pit. Obviously being in western washington keeping chickens dry is a bit of an issue. On a side note the other day when it rained I laughed so hard. half the hens looked like drowned rats. I guess I just assumed chicken feathers were water proof.
Chicken feathers (except for silkies) are water resistance, for a while.
They can also hold a decently bouyant amount of air to aide in swimming...but no, they do not have as much oil in their feathers as ducks do, so they are not water proof....

Last edited:
You said you set 7 eggs, so eight chicks hatching is a much greater hatch rate than 100% - how very cool!
he.gif

Sometime about 10 days ago (after candling & looking at developement) I set about 12 eggs............and usually write it down on the calendar.
This time I did not, in which case I usually remember due to some 'landmark' that occured that day (such as the day Kate was here for example)
But there was no landmark that day and I have no idea, but within 1 week...of which actual day I set this batch.
APPLESAUCE !!!!!!!!!!
I knew one time this would happen...and this is it.
When it looks like they are getting close, I just shut off the turner & let them be..........
he.gif

My computer is being such a pain.
It has half a gig of ram...it is OLD, and I need to unplug it & drop it off at Geek Squad & have them clean it up & add some more RAM.....and if they can't add more Ram...I needs a new puter tower.

barnie.gif

Einstein is gearing up for another CA run....leaving Sunday AM..................we have finally gotten a buyer on the house down there, a cash offer so we are discounting it yet again...BUT at least it will be gone !!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

The maintenance (once rented) and BS that goes with renting along with now it is empty & worried about the solar & pipes & stuff getting ropped off........that and it is about $100 a month to keep it connected to the water & sewer even if none is being used, they charge $57 a month just to read the darn meter.
Happy Happy JOY JOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wee.gif

So he will be gone maybe a week, moving what belongings we have left there, to his Dad's garage & bringing another van & trailer load up here, where oh where will I put the stuff ????????????
Anyone close by wanna come visit ? Give me a PM !!!
Gotta go stock up on supplies.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom