Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

The parrot cage I have is about 4' x 4' and over 5' tall. It worked for the doves because they perched all the time like a parrot. I don't know if the Phoenix chickens will be happy perched or if they need to be able to run around and scratch like my free range flock. The Phoenix hen was easy to keep and the rooster is only 7 months old so his tail is not several feet long yet but I need to plan a pen that will protect his feathers while also keeping the two happy together. I have a bird play pen but I can already see they will escape from it because there is no bottom and it is really light weight like a tent. I am excited to have a pair to hatch eggs but I am questioning my ability to give them the ideal environment, not knowing what they would be most happy with. I can't afford to build a covered run when I am trying to come up with $500 to pay my water bill so I will need to use what I have to make a nice home for them.

My breeding pens are 12' x 4' but they are not covered. It would be less expensive to cover one than to build an indoor coop for them but I need to clear out the drakes waiting to be sold. They are bantam sized but we may need to eat them so I don't have to keep feeding them.

AletaG, the lavenders are not a project I want to take on since I need to focus on my BBS Orpingtons. I just hatched out over a dozen chicks from my splash rooster but only one is splash and the rest are various shades of blue. I plan to grow them out and sell them in the spring because there is probably not much of a market for chicks right now. I am going to keep hatching as long as they keep laying so I can raise some Spring layers. The roosters are so large they are worth killing if they don't sell to breeding programs.

I am still holding these pullets and questioning why I am doing the favor instead of having them sold to someone else. The rooster has not sold and he is getting mature so I could end up with lavender chicks if he breeds my black and light blue pullets. What I don't want him to do is bring down the size on my BBS English Orpingtons, though. My splash rooster is still molting out the ugly yellow feathers he came with from being kept in straw bedding but he is looking pretty good otherwise.

Last edited:
I really need to go out and check the coop for eggs and see how the new additions are doing.

I'd really LIKE a fresh cup of coffee and make a biscuit for breakfast.

Unfortunately, I seem to have developed a 12lb black cat shaped tumor who is in no mood to get off my lap.

Hahahaha, cats always interfere when we want to do something, especially reading or computer time!

I really need to go out and check the coop for eggs and see how the new additions are doing.

Unfortunately, I seem to have developed a 12lb black cat shaped tumor who is in no mood to get off my lap.

Hahahaha, cats always interfere when we want to do something, especially reading or computer time!

^^^^ FUNNY. ^^^^. :D

I'd love to have only 12 pounds holding me down. I wake up with 80 pounds of german shepherd on my legs sometimes. She thinks she's protecting me. Apparently by making my legs go to sleep.

I'd love to have only 12 pounds holding me down. I wake up with 80 pounds of german shepherd on my legs sometimes. She thinks she's protecting me. Apparently by making my legs go to sleep.
LOL! Shades of the Rotties we had for the past 13 years or so. We rehomed our last one with our best friends (who used to puppy sit her when she was a baby anyway) before we moved to Eastern WA. Now...we have a Chihuahua...more economical to feed, but when he (8lbs), the two 12lb sisters (24lbs) and the 15lb tom lay on me at night, I have a big dog's worth of weight.

I'm glad the chickens don't want to come in and sleep on me. I'd be smothered.

Hey everyone - looking for a new home for my last 5 month old rooster. He is a mix of Ameraucana/Leghorn rooster over Red Star or Black Star hens (could have been either). He is nice to his ladies and out of the 13 eggs I set in the incubator I had 100% fertility - also isn't people aggressive at all. Has a pea comb so he should carry the blue egg gene (his hatch mate sister did from the same parentage and with pea comb).

I live in North Shoreline area (just north of Seattle, WA). Free to a good home with some single ladies where he can be his normal rooster self.

Back
Top Bottom