Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Anybody have any sebastapol babies or eggs for sale or trade??
droolin.gif

Oh man, me too!
Finally sold off all the baby ducks...thank God ! They are soooooooo messy !
I had to plant the cucumbers in the green house raised bed, with their net to clinb.
They were so big that they were sending out tendrils on each other.
The Tomatoes are about 12" tall in 1 gal pots & MUST be planted by the Saturday.
I put them in a 10 x 10 raised bed, with 18" of fresh warm compost, then cover it with a hoop frame, and staple the plastic down.
It stay near 70 in there 24/7 due to the warm compost.
My spaghetti squash & a few other squashes are so large they are wanting to crawl & sticking flat up against the glass of the hot frame, they want OUT !!!
But it has been so unseasonally COLD !!!

fl.gif
HOPEFULLY this next week will warm up enough to plant these little monsters outside.
Was it you I mailed sweet meats to ?
not me..yeah all this lovely lovely sunshine but it's cold...though the greenhouse did hit 102 today when I closed it briefly the wind justs been blowing steady thru here though and taking the warmth right away....think the artichokes should do awesome this year

Back in the Olden Days.......................:old
Grandma & Great Grandma never fed their birds, ever, cept some scraps.
There was no such thing as trips to the feed store (or grain mill) for "chicken feed"
LOL
The pigs got the scraps (and the dogs) and the chickens free ranged, and sometime in the afternoon, these women would walk out in the dusty yard & toss scratch to the birds.
That was the only grain the birds got.
No soy protein, no marigold extract.
No vitamins or amino acids..........................:)
These women also did not have incubators, (or Silkies !) and the birds had to be broody on occasion to keep their flocks sustainable.
There was hatcheries, even way back then.
But not many could afford to spend money every year on chicks, especially during the dust bowl & the Great depression.
My Dad had chickens even when I was a baby, and we had no hen house, the birds slept in trees, and free ranged, and were given a scoop of scratch a day.
Finding eggs everyday was a hunt !
So, moral of the story is, I think chickens were fine 100 years ago living on dirt & scratch, they'll be fine now.

Yep. I only bought feed in the winter in Virginia, and with 2 foot of snow on the ground you kinda had no choice. That's why I am gonna give the Hamburgs a try despite their rep of being neurotic and jumping fences. I want bug patrol. And if they can eat the birdfeeder spillage so that it doesn't sprout in my cottage garden (weeding NIGHTMARE) they and I will BOTH be happy! Lol

Hello! I'm new here! I just wanted to say hello. I live in Monroe, and just started with chickens a couple months ago. What started as 4 hens given to us by a friend has turned into 18 total. 14 of which are chicks of varying ages.and I'm looking for even more eggs so I can do some incubating! Needless to say I'm bitten by the chicken bug, and have been practicing my chicken math.:)

Morning everyone! I came on here to say something but now I don't remember. If I ramble a minute maybe I'll remember.... Picked up some more chickens yesterday as part of my trade with the mealworms. One of these days soon I will post pictures. Made a kinda run for them outside while we work on their coop. They still come in at night and make a mess of my dining room floor.

Oh! That's what I was going to say. Turns out they have all been vaccinated, called the guy I got the first batch from and he did his too so yay good to go.

Hello! I'm new here! I just wanted to say hello. I live in Monroe, and just started with chickens a couple months ago. What started as 4 hens given to us by a friend has turned into 18 total. 14 of which are chicks of varying ages.and I'm looking for even more eggs so I can do some incubating! Needless to say I'm bitten by the chicken bug, and have been practicing my chicken math.
smile.png

Hello! I'm new here! I just wanted to say hello. I live in Monroe, and just started with chickens a couple months ago. What started as 4 hens given to us by a friend has turned into 18 total. 14 of which are chicks of varying ages.and I'm looking for even more eggs so I can do some incubating! Needless to say I'm bitten by the chicken bug, and have been practicing my chicken math.
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
I got bit to. Went for six and ended up with 14. I'll get it back down to 8 somehow lol

Hello! I'm new here! I just wanted to say hello. I live in Monroe, and just started with chickens a couple months ago. What started as 4 hens given to us by a friend has turned into 18 total. 14 of which are chicks of varying ages.and I'm looking for even more eggs so I can do some incubating! Needless to say I'm bitten by the chicken bug, and have been practicing my chicken math.:)

I live in woodland and we must have the same "bugs" here cuz I've been bitten too!

Back
Top Bottom