Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

One of my hens went missing on the 26th, I found her today sitting on a nest with 16 eggs in it :jumpy
She's a Americana and my roo is a Barred rock.  This is her first batch, and I just moved her to a fenced in run today. Is it too late for her to be hatching chicks? The eggs are already developed and I really would hate to throw them out. anything I should watch for? What should I change with the run? its pretty big, and shares 2 walls with the main coop's run. None of the fencing is small enough to keep chicks in tho, do I need to change that? Thanks!

If chicks will fit through they will go through. I've lost chicks before because of that.

Personally Im collecting eggs to hatch right now. I leave the broody in with the group though.

I've had them separate during sub freezing temps where even the water right in front of the broody froze during the day. Chicks were warm and just fine. I had to keep food and water very close to her. Chicks would run out, eat, drink, run under mama.

This time of year is just fine I think.

If chicks will fit through they will go through. I've lost chicks before because of that.

Personally Im collecting eggs to hatch right now. I leave the broody in with the group though.

I've had them separate during sub freezing temps where even the water right in front of the broody froze during the day. Chicks were warm and just fine. I had to keep food and water very close to her. Chicks would run out, eat, drink, run under mama.

ok I have taken them out she took them no screeching from anyone
wish me luck she has the 3 so tell me am I able to give more if any in the second
group hatch

[CONTENTEMBED=/t/717207/washingtonians-come-together-washington-peeps/38130#post_17597576 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]

ok I have taken them out she took them no screeching from anyone
wish me luck she has the 3 so tell me am I able to give more if any in the second
group hatch

Depends on how long and the hen. New hatched chicks can't keep up with ones that are a lot older. I gave Angel some chicks that were 5 days younger than the first group last year. She's a sweetheart and adjusted for their slowness and heat needs.

I just went out to them momma hen is in the crate I came
back in as wee have many dog bowls for animals
took two small filled one with water put crumble in the other
probably will make a scrambled egg put it in with her to eat
as a thank you
ya.gif

Alright half a cup of coffee in me want to say a big Thank you to
@Hinotori listening giving me advice being there for me
when I was so unsure

Alright half a cup of coffee in me want to say a big Thank you to
@Hinotori
listening giving me advice being there for me
when I was so unsure

So how are they this morning?

Make sure the water isn't to deep. Chicks can fall in. Mama should sit a bit longer before moving them to go outside. I think it's the squirming under her at night that changes the brain from "I have eggs" to "I have chicks".

Some hens can count, I swear. So if you try to add more later you need to be there at first light to see the reaction. Hopefully you have one of those that are natural mamas that will mother everything. No questions asked other than "Can I have more?"

One of my hens went missing on the 26th, I found her today sitting on a nest with 16 eggs in it
jumpy.gif

She's a Americana and my roo is a Barred rock. This is her first batch, and I just moved her to a fenced in run today. Is it too late for her to be hatching chicks? The eggs are already developed and I really would hate to throw them out. anything I should watch for? What should I change with the run? its pretty big, and shares 2 walls with the main coop's run. None of the fencing is small enough to keep chicks in tho, do I need to change that? Thanks!
th.gif
got home today and mama was running franticly from one side of the fence to the other, she had hopped the fence and could not get back to her nest. I felt the eggs and they were cool to the touch, she could of been off of them for hours! I took them up to the house and put them in the incubator, putting the freshly laid eggs in their place.

Quote: We lost the chipmunk and the blue but she is keeping good tabs on the black one now
We went after a cord of wood in Bucoda then ran to Morton for dog food and chicken crumble but
went out to see how the last one was and she had brought it out to show me but it kept
running under her skirt it was cute

One of my hens went missing on the 26th, I found her today sitting on a nest with 16 eggs in it :jumpy
She's a Americana and my roo is a Barred rock.  This is her first batch, and I just moved her to a fenced in run today. Is it too late for her to be hatching chicks? The eggs are already developed and I really would hate to throw them out. anything I should watch for? What should I change with the run? its pretty big, and shares 2 walls with the main coop's run. None of the fencing is small enough to keep chicks in tho, do I need to change that? Thanks!

:th got home today and mama was running franticly from one side of the fence to the other, she had hopped the fence and could not get back to her nest. I felt the eggs and they were cool to the touch, she could of been off of them for hours! I took them up to the house and put them in the incubator, putting the freshly laid eggs in their place.

Good thing about eggs that aren't close to hatching. They should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom