Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My friend's dog went home last night, and now my own dog is laying the guilt on thick for being left alone. Nothing is as sad as a lonely old dog, who keeps getting up and tottering around to try to find her friend. *sigh*

I'm sorry dog, but we just can't go out and adopt another dog right now.
sad.png
I feel so guilty about it. The irony is, my friend's dog had so much fun over here that she wanted to come back with us, whined for a while after we left her house, and isn't eating all her food today. But she needs to stay with her owner. Dang it, my dog keeps looking up and me and giving me the sad Disney eyes.
barnie.gif

Now she's outside looking out the gate for her buddy. I feel like such a heel.

Jennifer
Hope she does not go over the gate after her friend !

I am starting to think that my entire issue here is that I am allergic to corn & rice, and have Celiac Disease too...
So, symptoms include:
Hives, and a BAD athsmatic session after eating.

So I get to trim those foods off my list of edibles as well as all gliadin containing foods.

Better that than the epi pen though~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
hide.gif

Alright, here's my problem. I've realized that my rooster isn't really working out very well. He has not responded positively at all after I've been keeping him from eating initially and actually attacked me for real several times yesterday. That, however, is not my biggest problem. He's been picking on my girls for the longest time. They'll just be pecking around where he is, minding their own business, and he'll smack their heads. They're not challenging him or anything! He especially loves picking on my poor little BLRWs. They're so sweet and I feel so bad for them. He chases them and I'm tired of it. If I'm understanding correctly, the rooster is supposed to let the hens eat first. He does not. He's the first to eat and attacks anyone who stands near him at the food and water stations. He's great at watching for predators and we think he has saved one of my girls, but he's just mean to everyone for no reason. At this point, I'm thinking that it's time for him to move to another home. I'm wondering if he just needs to go to a home that already has a dominant rooster. If anyone is interested in a 7 month old Brabanter, please let me know via PM. I'm willing to meet part-way. Here's a picture of him.

Last edited:
Quote:
She's 14 years old (for some reason I keep thinking she's 12, I guess two years with an infant/toddler killed my memory), and she didn't even like to step over the 18" garden fences when she was younger. I'm surprised that she enjoyed having a young husky mix around that much. Aurora can be a pain in the butt. I guess since we lost our other greyhound this summer, Aurora is the only canine pack member she knows. She's nice to our son, but she isn't a maternal dog.

Jennifer

Figures...I waited long enough to come post here, and there's already 39 pages! LOL I'm not going to try catching up, I'll just hop on from here... :)

Are green beans poisonous to chickens?  I'm finding mixed responses.

Tonight I gave a bunch of the kid's leftovers to the big girls.  They pigged out on all of it, but left what looked like most, or all, of the cooked green beans in the bowl.  I though that was odd.  So, I came in and looked it up.  Some people say green beans are poisonous to chickens.  Are they?

What my girls may have eaten a little bit of today were cooked green beans...

The answer is yes

Russ, where are you getting that info? It really is at odds with my experience of feeding green beans/raw shell beans, and the inherited livestock feeding patterns of my family (for poultry, cattle, sheep and pigs) although we are Blue Lake snobs, and I suspect that other cultivars have different chemical profiles. The only cultivated food bean I know for sure that has phytotoxic effect is fava beans which are antagonistic to people with sickle cell disorder and thalasemia and the monotypic carriers of those disorders.

There are a bunch of legumes that have toxic seeds (some vetches, all Lathyrus sweet peas) or whole plants that are toxic when mature (one of which was implicated in the death of the Into the Wild guy) but Phaseolus vulgaris and its cultivars is not something I've seen warnings about until right here in this thread, this week. We have, over the years, grown farm-stall size commercial beans, and fed the over-ripe fruits to cattle and pigs, had the Thousand Banty Army bottom prune all the pole beans, and this summer lost about 2/3 of the Blue Lakes to deer.

Sorry about my skepticism, but it's at odds with sixty years of observed experience.

I've known about dried beans for years. Easy to google for that information. Try beans toxic or hemogluttein. The reason it is not well known in the US is that beans are not as much a staple as they are in Europe. Here's the FDA site.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodSafety/...thogensNaturalToxins/BadBugBook/ucm071092.htm

I was surprised and got schooled in the topic, of green beans, last year, here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/606700/cooked-green-beans-safe

Russ

btw- I am not advocating that beans are in the league as cyanide laced kool-aid. Just in the sharing of knowledge.

Now that I've read all that, I'm prone to stick to my guns; I'm not feeding raw beans, or a lot of beans, and the variety of dried beans singled out is red kidney beans (I'd forgotten that one, but I don't much like then in anything except 5 bean salad and it was only relevant to me in a big way when I was cooking for big groups and using cheap dried kidney beans: soaking, dumping the soak water, and dumping the first cooking water when it comes to a boil is how you cook dried beans, according to every person who ever taught me to cook!).

I am starting to think that my entire issue here is that I am allergic to corn & rice, and have Celiac Disease too...
So, symptoms include:
Hives, and a BAD athsmatic session after eating.

So I get to trim those foods off my list of edibles as well as all gliadin containing foods.

Better that than the epi pen though~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:oops:

Oh, rats: nobody ever needs more things cut out of an already restricted diet!

Stumpfarmer, thanks for the vitamin supplement recipe. I've got that saved.

I don't think mine get enough even with free ranging with how are days are here in winter.

About the nitrates, leafy greens are full of them. I've known that for years. Plants use nitrogen fertilizer to make leaves. They store a lot of it as nitrates. Hence why celery juice is used as the cure in "nitrate free" bacon. Here's an article on nitrates in food. Some of what it says is very interesting. http://chriskresser.com/the-nitrate-and-nitrite-myth-another-reason-not-to-fear-bacon

Back
Top Bottom