Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

S
Quote: Ha guess I could've read that...
he.gif

I found a new addiction to go with my chickens.
th.gif
HELP!!!

Anyone close to Federal way? Im hoping to get chickens this summer but dk where to start breed wise!

You might try Naomi at Edgewood Chics since she is close to Federal Way and she has a lot of poultry varieties and a lot of knowledge. If she does not already have something she will find it! She has a large capacity incubator so she might even be able to find eggs and hatch chicks for you. She drove to Oregon for one of my Australian Spotted drakes and she even "loaned" me his half brother. Her place is fun to visit during her Open House events, which I believe she does every weekend at this time of year. You can find her on Facebook for details.

When I had chickens, the Aracaunas were my favorite because their eggs are more nutritious and better tasting than other eggs. They come in blue, green, and pink depending on the chicken and it seems each hen lays her own unique shade (my flock was free range so we had regular egg hunts looking for colored eggs and we did not have to color them for Easter). If it were not for raising this breed for so many years, I never would have acquired a taste for eggs. I looked for them before I decided on ducks and they are difficult to find but the Americauna is a cross of Aracauna so they have many of their desirable qualities. The Aracauna chicken has almost a mane of feathers giving them an attractive head and they have a "beard" of feathers that also gives them a unique look. Because they come in a variety of colors, they don't all look alike and that makes them easier to name and note their personalities. I still think about getting some myself but ducks are so much easier on my yard and more beneficial to my garden, plus they love the rain so they are much happier roaming the yard when chickens would seek shelter in rainy weather. If I end up raising chickens again I would definitely want Aracaunas.

Last edited:
Well I know not to get orchids or african violets then.

They've gone after chicks, but the roosters are watching them now and all the adults will challenge them until the roosters run them off.
Wow, what a great endorsement for a roo in the coop. Perhaps next year after the hubby gets used to the girls being here and seeing that they aren't taking over the back yard.

Back
Top Bottom