Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Sometimes you can get the doe to nurse, but more often she won't. Even if you hold her to let the babies nurse, when you go away, she won't let them. And, they need to nurse very often. They can also get pretty aggressive, and with horns they can be dangerous. I've got one in the house, gave him some milk and pedialite, but I don't think he'll make it. They won't starve. If they don't show any improvement, they will be humanely euthanized. I can't stand to watch animals suffer. I went through this with a doeling 18 months ago. I had her in the garage and tried to nurse her back, but in the end she was too weak too stand. I'm sure the look in her eyes at the end was asking me to help her out of her suffering. So we did. And then I cried.

If the other doe had kidded at the same time, or a bit earlier, I think she would have taken them. She was such a good momma last year. This one is new and not very tame. We'll do our best.
Can you bottle feed them? Milk the mama n give it to the babies or get milk from someone? I know it can be hard if they are untame. There is a goat rescue up here in Arlington that probably has milk if you need it. I know it takes a lot of time... Maybe you could find someone to bottle feed them if you are unable.
hugs.gif

How do I get so far behind!?

Well, I think we are going to lose all three baby goats - Momma won't let them nurse. I'm bummed.
OMGosh! NO!!! I can bring out bottles and we can milk her to get enough for them.

I guess I should've read that last few pages... TC - sorry you don't think they'll make it. I PM'd you, and then I read the rest of your posts.

Last edited:
Here's the new cute coop! And my genius idea of a waterer for both Lucy and the chicks...she can drink from the top, they can drink from the bottom

And the babies getting used to being outside, protected from the big girls in the lower part of the new coop. Only 2 of these are mine, I'm brooding the other 6 for a very prego friend
That's cute! I'm glad it worked out and it looks really nice! Just by seeing the pictures on the website I didn't envision it being large enough but it looks plenty roomy!
Sometimes you can get the doe to nurse, but more often she won't. Even if you hold her to let the babies nurse, when you go away, she won't let them. And, they need to nurse very often. They can also get pretty aggressive, and with horns they can be dangerous. I've got one in the house, gave him some milk and pedialite, but I don't think he'll make it. They won't starve. If they don't show any improvement, they will be humanely euthanized. I can't stand to watch animals suffer. I went through this with a doeling 18 months ago. I had her in the garage and tried to nurse her back, but in the end she was too weak too stand. I'm sure the look in her eyes at the end was asking me to help her out of her suffering. So we did. And then I cried.

If the other doe had kidded at the same time, or a bit earlier, I think she would have taken them. She was such a good momma last year. This one is new and not very tame. We'll do our best.
I'm so sorry. :( I love goats so much and this just breaks my heart.

Here's the new cute coop! And my genius idea of a waterer for both Lucy and the chicks...she can drink from the top, they can drink from the bottom

And the babies getting used to being outside, protected from the big girls in the lower part of the new coop. Only 2 of these are mine, I'm brooding the other 6 for a very prego friend

VERY cute coop, and an ideal set-up for what you need. Very clever!

--Nikki

How do I get so far behind!?

OMGosh! NO!!! I can bring out bottles and we can milk her to get enough for them.

I guess I should've read that last few pages... TC - sorry you don't think they'll make it. I PM'd you, and then I read the rest of your posts.

Heartbreaking but this is life in the real. I also was going to offer to help but realize that it would be a burden on her. She knows what she has to do and it is a hard decision. I support you emotionally. How hard.

Heartbreaking but this is life in the real. I also was going to offer to help but realize that it would be a burden on her. She knows what she has to do and it is a hard decision. I support you emotionally. How hard.
Plus Totalcolur has her neckbrace on still. Has to be very careful for a while after that.
Sorry TC.

Back
Top Bottom