Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

these previously buried treasures are fondly called yardifacts here

There's an area where my hens are now free-ranging that was covered in undergrowth and they have unearthed a pile of slate, a big heavy round steel "thing" and all kinds of other interesting things. I'm going to decorate the orchard shed/hen house with the treasures.

After my place being a rental for 30 years our yardifacts all seem to be garbage. They burned and dumped. Anyone interested in old rusty cans, broken bottles???? GRRRR. I will never be a long distance landlord again. Even with a manager we got scr***d. No one love your stuff like you do.

Still dealing with issues on my BSL. I have her on antibiotics now so she's separated from her buddies all day so that she's the only one drinking the medicated water. They don't care for that very much, but it works. About 7:00 at night I remove that waterer and let her join the flock for the night. (nothing contagious).

I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm a little bit worried that she's "one of those hatchery birds" that hit 2 years old and start falling apart. Her reproductive system seems to be the issue which appears to be the common denominator with other hatchery birds. I got her third hand before POL and I don't know how well she was raised either. She has several strikes against her -- hatchery sex link, age, never gone broody, never molted before this, continues laying thru the winter. So her system has never been given the chance to rejuvenate.
th.gif

I read an interesting paper that talked about the original chickens (jungle fowl) and heritage birds. They naturally go broody about once a year and When they do they naturally stop laying, reduce their food intake dramatically which causes considerable weight loss, and causes them to molt. During this time their reproductive system rejuvenates itself. The breeding that people have done has created birds that don't go broody, don't molt heavily, and lay throughout the year. Plus we add light during the winter to keep them laying. As a result we have hens whose bodies deteriorate, without a chance to rejurenate, and end up with things like internal laying, prolapses, and tumors. This in turn causes us to worry (or freak out), treat with antibiotics, and we're often faced with watching a poor animal get very sick and suffer so they have to be "culled". And generally by that time they are so sick or emaciated that they can't be used in the kitchen. A no win for anyone.

I think this is enough for me to make a new set choices as I go forward with my chickens.

In the mean time, I'm in the worrying stage and I really don't like it. I hope I'm wrong, hope she gets better, and hope she stays healthy.

Dang. I wish I could help. I am so sorry. Hugs.

OK, my first chick hatched. It is a silver lace wyandotte. I must keep my hands off. Repeat after me. Leave it alone, do not mess with it. Others are on the way.
wee.gif
It is so hard to not interfere. It looks up at me peeping. Pick me up. Pick me up.....

Still dealing with issues on my BSL. I have her on antibiotics now so she's separated from her buddies all day so that she's the only one drinking the medicated water. They don't care for that very much, but it works. About 7:00 at night I remove that waterer and let her join the flock for the night. (nothing contagious).

I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm a little bit worried that she's "one of those hatchery birds" that hit 2 years old and start falling apart. Her reproductive system seems to be the issue which appears to be the common denominator with other hatchery birds. I got her third hand before POL and I don't know how well she was raised either. She has several strikes against her -- hatchery sex link, age, never gone broody, never molted before this, continues laying thru the winter. So her system has never been given the chance to rejuvenate.
th.gif

I read an interesting paper that talked about the original chickens (jungle fowl) and heritage birds. They naturally go broody about once a year and When they do they naturally stop laying, reduce their food intake dramatically which causes considerable weight loss, and causes them to molt. During this time their reproductive system rejuvenates itself. The breeding that people have done has created birds that don't go broody, don't molt heavily, and lay throughout the year. Plus we add light during the winter to keep them laying. As a result we have hens whose bodies deteriorate, without a chance to rejurenate, and end up with things like internal laying, prolapses, and tumors. This in turn causes us to worry (or freak out), treat with antibiotics, and we're often faced with watching a poor animal get very sick and suffer so they have to be "culled". And generally by that time they are so sick or emaciated that they can't be used in the kitchen. A no win for anyone.

I think this is enough for me to make a new set choices as I go forward with my chickens.

In the mean time, I'm in the worrying stage and I really don't like it. I hope I'm wrong, hope she gets better, and hope she stays healthy.
I strongly beleive one thing that makes chickens get sick is the GMO corn and soy in chicken feed (and whatever scraps are fed to them). With GMO corn, (which comprises 90% of corn produced in the USA), they found that in rats, it caused organ damage to nearly every major organ in 90 days. If it does that to rats, I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to eat it or feed it to our chickens, because I fear the same fate. Of course I have no idea what anyone else is feeding their chickens, but just tossing that out there.

Unsure if you have seen these studies, but here's some articles about them:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...s--cause-organ-damage-early-death-humans.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/035734_GMOs_foods_dangers.html
here's the actual study:
http://www.ijbs.com/v05p0706.htm
The US GMO corn is of such concern that Russian and European union have baned import of any corn from the US. There's a growing list of countries who are banning import of American grains due to our farming practices. Ouch.

OK, my first chick hatched. It is a silver lace wyandotte. I must keep my hands off. Repeat after me. Leave it alone, do not mess with it. Others are on the way.
wee.gif
It is so hard to not interfere. It looks up at me peeping. Pick me up. Pick me up.....

Oh, Oh, Oh
wee.gif

Can I come and watch?
That one is a day early isn't it????
The sun is shining and little ones are popping! That's SO cool!!!!

You were busy today! I was too, but had a great time as well. Can't wait to see your pics tomorrow!

Today was a bit insane. We had breakfast and did chores before 8am. Worked on school from 9-10, built the small coop and set all the chickens up in new accommodations from 10-12. Lunch, rest time, reading time, and then spent the rest of the afternoon outside with the chickens enjoying them and playing with the kids. Had a yummy soup dinner and went to AWANA with the kids, it was the last night tonight! My sister and I served ice cream to 50+ kids and a dozen adults, and let them all run wild for an extra few minutes. My kids weren't asleep until 9:30, eesh. I'm so tired! Watched my Bones from the DVR and now I'm ready to hit the hay. G'night all! Hoping tomorrow we just do school and play with chickens
big_smile.png
ah! another Bones fan! You are a very busy Mom!

So how many days on calls? I'm very confused I've read 28 days and 26 for calla. No one gas hatched yet have only heard a couple internal pecks.

No. If you've got Call Ducks hatching that early your temp is off. Smaller eggs do seem more prone to early hatching due to too high a temp, although I noticed that mostly with OEGB, not really Calls.

Hooray! My friend is taking her baby chicks (5 weeks old tomorrow, all off heat and outside already) on Saturday and we can get back to normal here! Then I'll be left with:
9 hens, one year old
4 pullets about 10-11 weeks old
2 chicks 5 weeks old

And I will get Lucy a chick or two sometime in the next 2 weeks. That will leave me with 16-17 once they're all grown up. I might get rid of the Welsummer hen going into fall as long as everyone else is laying by then.

Oh, that's good news for you!

OMGosh!! In figuring how to configure the swingsets, I decided to consolidate them into one unit. Doing that, I am left with 2 A-frames, as the climber and the slide base will hold the new swing beam. The 2 A-frames are going to be used for my new bantam coop and run!!! I am SO excited. I think I will start looking at plans today. I am pretty sure I have enough salvaged lumber around here to build it for the cost of a couple hinges. Plus the wire. Yay for recycling!

That's funny that you mention swing sets. Yesterday, when my kids got home from school I told them to go outside. They didn't want to. I told them they were going to. I told them to just get outside and swing for a while. They again insisted they didn't want to. So, I told them if they didn't go swing, I was going to convert their swing set into a 2-story chicken coop. They immediately went out to swing.
lol.png
They ended up staying outside until we had to tell them to go in because the mosquitoes were out.

Back
Top Bottom