Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

FWJ - I hope you are feeling better after your accident, definitely be the thorn in their side, keep in touch with your agent (not the adjuster), and lawyer up if you don't like it. I have regrets about not doing the last one on two different occasions.

CR - I love love that planter to life!

Hinotori - I've had good luck with BA's, still waiting on my BR's and BO's to lay.

My 2 cents: I think what was said was taken too personal and too quickly responded to negatively by the power of suggestion. I remember not too long ago being accused of having a "Nazi flock" or something of that nature because I believe in culling non producing members. I think everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, to be absorbed or ignored.

Lets all take a hens "cock(/rooster) block" approach, and reject those opinions we do not appreciate.

Ok now I'll be with melissaG
hide.gif
Let me know when it's safe to come out...

I have a black B Fav rooster looking for a home. But NOT for breeding.

ohhhh! I'll keep an eye out for a worthy 4Her?
love.gif
they're so wonderful and tolerant, and sweet.. and I'm a preachin' to the choir
duc.gif
gig.gif

as for me, I don't even have any fav hens atm to breed, lol. waiting to bring in better stock
smile.png

patience is good. I say as I stare at my incubator of EE and EF impatiently
lau.gif

Oh my, I just hate to hear those symptoms since I've been dealing with similar ones.
How old is she? Is she on medicated chick starter? If not, could it be cocci? Treat cocci with Corid in her water right away (but not if she's already on medicated feed).
She was purchased and brought home March 1st. She is on medicated starter still and will be for a while since I have a 50 pound bag for the 5 chickens.

After giving her some of the electrolites and probiotics she is moving more, seems more alert, and was eating the oatmeal, yogurt and scratch in the pen . I will be keeping an eye on her over the next several days.

I need some advice, too. I just let my two young pullets in with my hens to test the waters. They're getting along famously! Whew, didn't need to worry after all.

BUT.... the feed. The tykes get chick feed (crumbles) that's 18% protein. The hens get Layer (pellets) with 16% protein.
What do you feed a combined flock? If I go to non-layer pellets + shell on the side, the protein is low. If I go with all chick feed + shell on the side, the hens are going to throw the crumbles far and wide - again. Does anybody sell chick *pellets* or the equivalent? I've got about 9 more weeks of this so it's going to take a full bag of something, I guess.

Suggestions Please! (I'd rather not keep doing wet crumbles).

I'm hoping someone in here can assist me. I had 9 little call ducks hatch on Saturday all are doing great except for one. I am giving them vitamins I purchased from Metzers in their water, bought the good food. Is there something else I can do for him to give him the best chance to make it? Thank you in advance for any help. I did give them a liitle egg yolk in warm water (someone on NYC suggested that) and with my help got him to eat a bit but not as much as his siblings did. This is breaking my heart.

Let the ladies out into the run this weekend for the first time. Opened the door on Saturday and NO ONE left the coop - so on Sunday I tossed them all outside :) They seemed to figure out how to get in and out (or at least a couple of them did). Put them all in last night and a few of them surprised me and let me pick them up without any struggle. I think it's going to take a week for them to get the new routine figured out. But they did really seem to enjoy their new run. They were stretching their legs and wings.

I need some advice, too. I just let my two young pullets in with my hens to test the waters. They're getting along famously! Whew, didn't need to worry after all.

BUT.... the feed. The tykes get chick feed (crumbles) that's 18% protein. The hens get Layer (pellets) with 16% protein.
What do you feed a combined flock? If I go to non-layer pellets + shell on the side, the protein is low. If I go with all chick feed + shell on the side, the hens are going to throw the crumbles far and wide - again. Does anybody sell chick *pellets* or the equivalent? I've got about 9 more weeks of this so it's going to take a full bag of something, I guess.

Suggestions Please! (I'd rather not keep doing wet crumbles).

Flockraiser pellets with oystershell on the side. I use crumbles for the silkie pen since they have chicks in there regularly.

I was giving the laying flock the pellets. They've had mostly layer lately and the EEs are starting to pull and eat feathers again. So it was back to just the Flockraiser until that stopped then back to half and half.

I've never had the feather eating issue with other birds, just the EEs when their protein is below 18 percent.

[COLOR=800080]I just read that Guinea Fowls will eat stink bugs...
droolin.gif
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]If you raise them, they could be free ranged and rid your property of bugs...ticks and all.
ya.gif
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=800080]........."Ducks age good...[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080] ...I love ducks...[/COLOR] [COLOR=800080] ...I only raise ducks...
lau.gif
[/COLOR]
Now you got me googling guinea fowl! I am not certain I could convince DF to raise them. I dont know if our yard is big enough or if they would pester the neighbors. I tried to convince him that we could use a couple ducks as well lol. I had them as a child and they have a voracious appetite for slugs. He says ducks are too messy though. :(

Flockraiser pellets with oystershell on the side. I use crumbles for the silkie pen since they have chicks in there regularly.

I was giving the laying flock the pellets. They've had mostly layer lately and the EEs are starting to pull and eat feathers again. So it was back to just the Flockraiser until that stopped then back to half and half.

I've never had the feather eating issue with other birds, just the EEs when their protein is below 18 percent.

I thought 20% protein was way too high for layers. What did I miss? Or is it ok for the layers if it's only for 9 weeks?

Last edited:
Now you got me googling guinea fowl! I am not certain I could convince DF to raise them. I dont know if our yard is big enough or if they would pester the neighbors.

I tried to convince him that we could use a couple ducks as well lol. I had them as a child and they have a voracious appetite for slugs. He says ducks are too messy though.
sad.png

Guinea hens are awfully noisy. Not appropriate for your average neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom