Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

My husband has created the ft Knox of chicken coops, nothing is getting in there and I'm adding a baby monitor so I can hear in the coop all the time. I was hoping they could they are getting crowded in the brooder and want out. I will post photos today when they go in.

With the lamp?  Whenever you want/feel comfortable/can't escape from your set up.  I advise keeping chicks in the brooder until 6 weeks of age, when they go outside without heat (usually at about 4 weeks I'll start only turning lights on at night this time of year)

DAWN: I've never gotten to watch a broody hen before, that's really something the way she's so careful getting back into the nest. Thank you for sharing that!

Quote:

I'm glad you both liked it! I'm always amazed, but especially so because she is large fowl sitting on bantam eggs!
big_smile.png

I posted a video on my facebook sudsy chick page of an eagle sitting on eggs, it was so cool to see how gentle even they were! I'll try to find it...

Now a goose, that must be difficult! With those big feet, it'd be neat to see =)

Last edited:
I have been looking for hatching eggs so I can put my empty incubators to work and I picked up some fertile Barnevelder eggs and some Black Copper Maran eggs to hatch. I am not sure how popular these chicken breeds are when it comes time to sell chicks but the parent birds are beautiful. The Marans have feathering on their legs but I can't remember what genetics she said they have. It sounded like she was saying "weird" (Wade, perhaps?)but because she had such a lovely Irish accent that I could have listened to all night, I am not sure what she was saying. I looked up Black Copper Marans online and it looks like these would be the French variety with the feathers on the legs instead of the clean legs. Does anyone know what they are called?

The woman said that the Barnevelder chickens are the most docile, especially the rooster, but she did not know if it was the breed or her rooster. I would like to learn more about these two chicken breeds because I could end up raising the chicks and selling the hens and roosters but if I do that I might get attached and want to keep them. With three dozen eggs that would give me too many chickens but I could always keep a few and sell eggs.
You'll like your Marans they'll lay nice dark bron terracotta colored eggs, mine lay eggs that are larger than my English orps even though they are much smaller. The clean legged Marans are the English type feathered are French.
Made a run to the Co-Op to load up on feed today. Purina has changed their 50 lb Layena to 40 lb bags and the price is the same! Wassup with that???? I'm calling Purina on Monday. Hope anyone else that's as unhappy with that as I am will make a call too!

God Bless,
They did that dog food too if they're going to raise the price raise the price don't make the bag smaller and try to pull a fast one.
My husband has created the ft Knox of chicken coops, nothing is getting in there and I'm adding a baby monitor so I can hear in the coop all the time. I was hoping they could they are getting crowded in the brooder and want out. I will post photos today when they go in.
They should be fine then just make sure they have a place to get away from the heat so they can regulate their temp in the heat we're having. I like it when I can say the HEAT we're having in MAY!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Happy Star Wars day everyone, May the Fourth be with you.

That's funny

Hi guys !
We are painting like crazy.
Did a coat of primer gray, and today we are painting the Chianti red.
We rented 2 sets of scaffolding from HD which reaches to 15 feet and the rest of the way is easy to reach with sprayer extension & roller extensions.
Happy Cinco de mayo !

I am making shrimp tacos for lunch as we have a few Mexicans here working & painting.

C-YA !!
frow.gif

Yay! Heat lamp is off now! Countdown to integration! The last step!

As much as I like getting new girls, we do not have the infrastructure to make the whole process easy as possible. They are nearly big enough to be introduced to the flock, but their food is still too different. I don't want my hens to get fat on weeks and weeks of grower feed, so we must still wait.

Can anyone recommend a small, reasonably priced incubator? I'd like to start shopping around so we can hatch out some bitty-boodies next year. Looking to hatch out about a dozen (no more). Also looking for good places to get D'uccle, barnie, and faverolles eggs (breeds might change according to what everyone has available). I know this is far in advance, but I like to start getting my ideas early!

Hi guys !
We are painting like crazy.
Did a coat of primer gray, and today we are painting the Chianti red.
We rented 2 sets of scaffolding from HD which reaches to 15 feet and the rest of the way is easy to reach with sprayer extension & roller extensions.
Happy Cinco de mayo !

I am making shrimp tacos for lunch as we have a few Mexicans here working & painting.

C-YA !!
frow.gif
Hi Chickielady! sounds like your painting job is getting done! You have to post pics so we can see the progress, I have been watching since you first started.

Sounds like they're following in the footsteps of the pet food manufacturers. They do that all the time. I don't know why they think customers won't notice.
I have read that Purina feed is substandard now and that Nutrena is much better for the chickens. Anyone used both and notice any difference?

Any goat people around - I need help

Mama was not taking such good care of her at all - wouldn't let her nurse and is now almost dried up. So, I brought her in, bought some goat replacer and am trying to get her to take a bottle. Never done it before (she's adamantly refusing right now).

Hubby wants to put her back with the herd and feed her during the day. I told him I thought it would confuse her, and that she's never accept the bottle. The problem is, we don't have anyplace to keep her except in the garage in a dog crate.

Once she has accepted the bottle for a few days, would it be safe to put her back with the flock? Would she try nursing on Mama again?

I'd appreciate any advice right now!

Back
Top Bottom