Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps

Hi guys, some pics from yesterday:

HOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pearl free ranging on the cabin Porch !

Blue Copper Boy is getting big & purty !

Crele Marans cross boy is getting even purty-er......

OK for now...and I have to go get back to work.
Keeps me out of trouble............................................................LOL !!!
woot.gif
Absolutely beautiful!

Just a picture to share today. Took my life in my hands to take this (almost literally, the Gander is NOT happy I'm within 100' of them these days.

Just the one gosling so far, but she says she's not done sitting, and I'm not going to argue with her. I value my appendages too much for that.
yuckyuck.gif
Don't lose any appendages! Those two mean business!

So i found a new feed store that was recommended to me from a lady i bought a few pullets from. They sell a local feed X Cel out of Tacoma. I'm googling and i am not finding any info on them. Does anyone have any good or bad reports on them? I know the cashier was trying to hard sell the layena Purina brand feed on me, saying it was plant based, better proteins than the Xcel brand. i did buy a bag, then when entering the storage saw the huge bags asked the other guy that was there how much they were i was shocked at the price difference and how huge the bag was. 80lbs for 26 the Layena was 20 for 50lbs. He then gave me brief info, just that it was out of tacoma, its more bang for your buck. So i have both bags :) I do like the idea of supporting local business instead of big box Purina. Other than that i have no reason to not buy Xcel? Any info would be appreciated
I'm EXTRA delayed on this... but I buy XCel feed for my birds and my rabbits. I absolutely love them. The mill is, as others have stated, on S 56th & Washington St in Tacoma. They load it for you which is very nice. They have everything, and if you can find enough people they will even mill your own mix, but it's by the ton... so... ya that's a lot.
th.gif

Quote: talented husband!! maybe you should rent him out!! lol
yuckyuck.gif

Duck Drover - Amazing planter!

Hi everyone!
I'm in Redmond, and I'm very new to chickens (though lots of animal experience... dogs, cats, and horses, mostly). I've been reading and planning for six months or so, and finally brought home 4 pullets two weeks ago. They are 8 weeks old now. My new coop is being delivered tomorrow; I'm excited! I was going to convert our shed to a coop, but my husband vetoed at the last minute, so I had to scramble to find a coop. I'm hopeful the transition to the coop will go well! I've been using a covered giant wire dog crate until now.

Anyways, just wanted to say hi!
Mom!!! you made it!!! lol
gig.gif

Hi and welcome to the Washington thread. Good luck with the coop.

Russ aka Imp

Quote:
Good Morning Mikey! How'd you fare yesterday? Any downed trees or power outages? We made it thru unscathed, thankfully. Listening to the news there were things crashing all around us, but we were spared. Ignorance is bliss sometimes!

Those are sure cute little JGs. Are they friendly? I really don't know anything about the breed other than they're large.
tongue.png

We made it through ok yesterday. Some wind, lots of rain but no power loss here, no tree damage that I am aware of.
The JG are friendly, calm birds. Pick up a chick and they squawk, then settle down immediately when you pet/talk to them. 3 weeks and feathered under their wings already and off the heat lamp. They are robust birds and active.
I really need to get my butt in gear and build them their own coop and run. I am anxious to see the size of eggs these critters lay! They are easily the size of my RIR when they were 5 weeks old just not quite as full feathered though.
I have a double (large) horse stall that I can convert to chicken coops. Perhaps you and others can chime in on plan suggestions? 13 JG + the BlueRoo as a flock.

Hi everyone!
I'm in Redmond, and I'm very new to chickens (though lots of animal experience... dogs, cats, and horses, mostly). I've been reading and planning for six months or so, and finally brought home 4 pullets two weeks ago. They are 8 weeks old now. My new coop is being delivered tomorrow; I'm excited! I was going to convert our shed to a coop, but my husband vetoed at the last minute, so I had to scramble to find a coop. I'm hopeful the transition to the coop will go well! I've been using a covered giant wire dog crate until now.

Welcome!

I laughed at your user name, We have someone that posts on this thread with the user name Imp. :) You aren't HIS mother, are you?

Thanks for the welcome!

I got this coop from a coop-builder on Craigslist.

It is about 6' long, 4' high, and 32" wide. I think it will hold my four girls pretty well. They will have a free range area of about 40'x40' eventually, but at first I'm going to start them with a dog exercise pen about 8x10 covered in poultry net. And they'll definitely be locked in at night. I have a LOT of predators around me, we are right near a big protected forest... So coyotes, raccoons, hawks, owls, the occasional bobcat, probably more I haven't even thought of... I will let them range to the limits of their and my ability to keep them alive :) the four I got are from Baxter Barn in Fall City; it seemed very clean and Cory, the owner, seemed to be really passionate about his chickens. The girls are Salt (white Ameraucana), Pepper (barred Rock), Cocoa (black Austalorp), and Spice (GLW). Here they are in their dog crate, and yes, they've been roosting in it. :)

Hey does anyone in Washington raise good Cream Legbars? 

Matt, I am not sure what you mean by good cream leg bars? Many of us in Washington who are raising cream leg bar chicks received our stock about a year ago. If you are following the leg bar thread, you will know that the proposed breed standard came out only in the last few months. The stock that is readily available is no where near breed standard. I have had some issues with my original stock and have some from another breeder in Tennessee that hopefully will help improve what I have. I know that others in the area are in the same situation.

Raincreek, a hatchery in the port orchard area expects to have chicks for sale next year.

I hope this answers your question.

Carol

Mom!!! you made it!!! lol
gig.gif
Hi and welcome to the Washington thread. Good luck with the coop. Russ aka Imp
Lol, too funny! Nope, the "imp" in question is my daughter, its her nickname 'cuz she's always in to something!! Ahh, toddlers... She does enjoy the chickens, though, she watches them and calls them "birdies" :)

Last edited:
Ack, still getting the hang of this quoting thing! Didn't mean to add my commentary to your quote! Not sure how to fix it! Sorry!

(Couple minutes poking around trying to figure it out....)

Ah, got it. Fixed :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Hello and Welcome,

I live in Redmond too. It's nice to see someone else from my area. If you live next to the same protected Orestes that I live next to, we really are neighbors. I live on the top of the watershed near Redmond ridge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom